Smoking 'To Be Banned'

It’s not quite ‘banning’ smoking.  Well not for a long time anyway. And it’s only a proposal.

https://news.sky.com/story/sunak-proposes-raising-smoking-age-every-year-to-create-smoke-free-generation-12976625

Personally I’d like to see smoking banned apart from inside people’s own homes.  Apart from all issues with smokers health and NHS costs, why should any non smoker be subjected to having to breathe in smoke fumes when they are out and about (and that includes vaping).  Sitting or standing next someone at a bus stop for example and having a smoker/vaper blowing smoke or vape fumes all over is revolting, inconsiderate and unhealthy.  As is lurking in doorways smoking or walking on a busy street smoking.  Stinky stinky 🚬🚬🚬🚬🚬🚬

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pfifes said:

It’s not quite ‘banning’ smoking.  Well not for a long time anyway. And it’s only a proposal.

https://news.sky.com/story/sunak-proposes-raising-smoking-age-every-year-to-create-smoke-free-generation-12976625

Personally I’d like to see smoking banned apart from inside people’s own homes.  Apart from all issues with smokers health and NHS costs, why should any non smoker be subjected to having to breathe in smoke fumes when they are out and about (and that includes vaping).  Sitting or standing next someone at a bus stop for example and having a smoker/vaper blowing smoke or vape fumes all over is revolting, inconsiderate and unhealthy.  As is lurking in doorways smoking or walking on a busy street smoking.  Stinky stinky 🚬🚬🚬🚬🚬🚬

Sadly, us smokers have become social lepers. Still, the rise of passive smoking and banning smoking in enclosed places did wonders for our pub trade. To be brutally honest, people today don't need to be smokers to stink. 

26 minutes ago, Cyclunt said:

Sadly, us smokers have become social lepers. Still, the rise of passive smoking and banning smoking in enclosed places did wonders for our pub trade. To be brutally honest, people today don't need to be smokers to stink. 

True, there are lots of stinky people who aren’t smokers but grim as it is to smell someone’s BO for example, it’s not actually a health hazard and they aren’t actually blowing their fumes over others like smokers.

Ive nothing against people smoking in own homes but they have no right to inflict their revolting habit on others.  Stinky stinky 🚬🚬🚬🚬

Edited by pfifes
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, pfifes said:

I'm more concerned with traffic fumes than the odd smoker in the odd doorway. The traffic fumes are far more abundant and far more dangerous than cigarette fumes.

I don't smoke but I think that smokers have been dealt with quite heavily already and that has bee the main reason for the loss in pubs.

8 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I'm more concerned with traffic fumes than the odd smoker in the odd doorway. The traffic fumes are far more abundant and far more dangerous than cigarette fumes.

I don't smoke but I think that smokers have been dealt with quite heavily already and that has bee the main reason for the loss in pubs.

I’m concerned about that too.  Any attempts to reduce traffic haven’t gone down too well though have they?

I just think it’s very anti social to stand around lurking in doorways, at bus stops, anywhere where there’s lots of other people around blowing stinky fag smoke or vape fumes all over others with zero consideration.  Vile.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

Virtually every anti smoking argument can be used by those who are anti drinking .

So in successive years raise the legal age for purchasing booze by say 5 years and in 6 years we will be well on the way to an alcohol free society.

But you can legally drink alcohol from the age of 5, so increasing by one year per year would take a long time.

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

How would you tax obesity ?

They tax petrol for vehicles, which the excepting of aviation fuel, at over 50%, so that is great.

George Osborne tried to tax hot cornish pasties at 20% in 2012, but he back tracked, so its difficult.

We could either tax ultra-processed food or/and hot food, followed up with a reduction to 16% in the starting rate for income tax. Start at 5% and increase it by 5% every year, to become the same standard 20% VAT rate after four years - lowering income tax by 1% per year.