The Yom Kippur War .

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

Oh, for the freedom of the open road!

Driving was my greatest pleasure..

Anecdote Alert!!

Some memorable moments.

For an ex apprentice from Sheffield. A big shiny new company car, and a company credit card to stay in any hotel of my choice, and eat and drink at any restaurant.  Couldn't believe people would pay me to do that! Life is good!

Driving down to Florida, which we did every winter,  Night time, should pull over to a motel soon. Wife asleep, 2 kids in the back asleep, It's raining hard, and we are already in Georgia. Then comes on the radio, Brook Benton and "Rainy Night in Georgia".  Life is good!

Driving down the Pacific Coast Highway from San Francisco to San Diego and into Mexico at Tijuana., with no particular schedule. Life is good!

Driving back to L.A, from Vegas late on a warm night through the desert, with the "stars shining bright" and "up in the distance there's a shimmering light"  and the Eagles are singing Hotel California. Life is good!

Freddie Laker took us and inc a free flight to Hawaii . It was for knowt

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

This will be settled by applying a nuanced approach to all the issues round a table with much discussion and some compromise.

I completely agree with, that but as I'm sure you're aware that's easier said than done.

In todays Times there's an article under the heading ' Is this a just war ' with some interesting information in it.

Three days before he left the office of chairman of the PLO Yasser Arafat called President Clinton to say goodbye " You are a great man. " said Arafat.  " The hell I am " replied Clinton " I'm a colossal failure  and you made me one ".

Clinton had held a Camp David summit in 2000 and negotiated a reasonable agreement which had been accepted by the Israelis but when he tried to persuade Arafat to agree he refused and here we are 23 years later with many who weren't born back then having been killed in this latest tragedy.

Palestinian Hamas and other sectarian leaders are mainly to blame but Israel isn't totally blameless and over 4,000 people have been killed in this latest conflict.

The majority are Palestinians and were innocent civilians, as were the Israelis killed by Hamas.  Palestinian extremists never wanted to reach agreement and they've succeeded in turning a sufficient number of Israelis into the same mindset which is what they wanted.

Meanwhile, by far the largest number of both Palestinians and Israelis would just like to live a peaceful live and raise their families.

6 minutes ago, altus said:

mafya said Starmer has lost the vote of Muslims and non Muslims as he agreed with Israel (not Jews) holding back food and water.

Explain why you think that's about religion.

Why not just say " lost the vote of people" why bring religion into it?

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

Strange that there is no outrage being shown about the hostages who are still being held.

Plenty of voices raised about Israels retaliatory attacks but if the hostages were released these military actions may cease.

The minority are always the loudest.

👍

41 minutes ago, RJRB said:

You are the one that cannot respond to my questioning of the actions being taken by the Israeli Government ,which is no surprise because many Israelis cannot either.

Liar!

Post your question, but keep it civil!  :)

And stop dissembling.

Late edit

On second thoughts, don't bother. Just read more of your crapolla, and it's not worthy of an answer!  :)

Edited by trastrick

5 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Why not just say " lost the vote of people" why bring religion into it?

👍

It was a reply to cressida asking about the Muslim vote so addressing that question directly and then adding 'and others' is reasonable. You haven't explained why you think it's about religion.

Harvey hasn't been listening to what the Israeli military have been saying if he thinks releasing the hostages might end their military actions.

1 minute ago, altus said:

It was a reply to cressida asking about the Muslim vote so addressing that question directly and then adding 'and others' is reasonable. You haven't explained why you think it's about religion.

Harvey hasn't been listening to what the Israeli military have been saying if he thinks releasing the hostages might end their military actions.

I think it's 99% to do with religion.

Why were all those Muslims trying to attack Jewish airline passengers in Russia?  What other reason apart from their religion could there have been for that unprovoked attack?

Just now, altus said:

I have been listening and  holding the hostages only increases the tension  and provocation.

Why isn't the Hamas govt. trying to stop the "war"  by this one simple act ?

2 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I think it's 99% to do with religion.

Why were all those Muslims trying to attack Jewish airline passengers in Russia?  What other reason apart from their religion could there have been for that unprovoked attack?

Tribalism.

I heard a commentator say yesterday that it's Hamas that are stopping the Palestinians from leaving Gaza.

They also said that the EU gave Palestine millions in funding to install a water system to bring drinking water to citizens.

Apparently Hamas dug it up to use the pipes to build rockets 

Edited by Jack Grey