The Yom Kippur War .

14 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Ah yes, showing your hard left hand after all.

👍

What do you suggest Israel realistically do?

I suggested this upthread. Give Palestinians the West Bank, thereby rewarding the largely peaceful, secular approach taken by the Palestinian Authority and make it clear that where violence doesn't work, negotiation does. What is wrong with that?

5 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I suggested this upthread. Give Palestinians the West Bank, thereby rewarding the largely peaceful, secular approach taken by the Palestinian Authority and make it clear that where violence doesn't work, negotiation does. What is wrong with that?

Naivety?

2 hours ago, altus said:

As was pointed out to you ad infinitum, your proposed solution for Ukraine won't work since it relies on Putin abiding by his promises to respect whatever borders are negotiated. He has repeatedly broken such promises in the past and so any such assurances he gives are worthless. Unless you can come up with an effective way of discouraging Russia from invading again in the future, your solution isn't a solution - it just provides an opportunity for Russia to rearm and leaves Ukraine vulnerable to them attacking again later. There is an effective way of discouraging Russia from invading again, it's for Ukraine to join NATO.

The same is true of Israel who have broken treaty after treaty, presumably with the full backing of the West, and no comeback.

The Leaders need to be held personally responsible and jailed for failing to uphold the treaty / law. Nobody should be too big and important to break the law and go to war with impunity.

If that doesn't happen they need to be in the frontline of their Army fighting alongside their compatriots and at the same risk of death / maiming, not sat up on the hill directing operations from the back.

That might focus their minds wonderfully... 

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I'm not bothered what they do with the lights at Wembley because it's of no importance whatsoever.  What is important is the situation in Palestine and thereabouts.

You have still not managed to grasp a very simple message and that is why I often question your mindset.  People like myself ARE NOT TERRORIST SYMPTHISERS  we sympathise with the people of Palestine.

I have said repeatedly that I DO NOT condone terrorism and the terrorists will never have my support.   I will be the one who decides what I respect and what have a problem with and not you..

Even Jack Grey agrees that politics and football are not a good mix and it's rare that he takes the same stance as me.   As I always say  ( and as you NEVER say )  you are entitled to decide for yourself but not for others.

You need to calm down and stop being so touchy.  BTW, I read you have a serious health problem. I send you  my sincere best wishes. Take care.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Axe said:

You need to calm down and stop being so touchy.  BTW, I read you have a serious health problem. I send you  my sincere best wishes. Take care.

Thank you Axe.

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The same is true of Israel who have broken treaty after treaty, presumably with the full backing of the West, and no comeback.

The Leaders need to be held personally responsible and jailed for failing to uphold the treaty / law. Nobody should be too big and important to break the law and go to war with impunity.

If that doesn't happen they need to be in the frontline of their Army fighting alongside their compatriots and at the same risk of death / maiming, not sat up on the hill directing operations from the back.

That might focus their minds wonderfully... 

Very true again.   I don't know when they will all realise ( especially the west ) that the current situation will always be a source of misery and bloodshed as long as it exists.

Indeed it is the leaders responsibility to ensure that International Law is followed and so I agree that the leaders should be disciplined if they fail.  It will never end with this inaction.

In my opinion we,  the USA and the UK are largely to blame for the lack of progress because whilst we give our full backing to a land grabber,  Israel has no reason to give up anything.

Until the situation is sorted, then not much can be done to tackle Hamas because they can claim justification on behalf of Palestine..

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/12/israel-hamas-war-live-updates-latest-news-on-gaza.html                     Hell on Earth.

• Non-stop Israeli air raids on Gaza have so far killed more than 150 Palestinians on Thursday; Israel says it has dropped 6,000 bombs in six days of bombardment.
  • Israeli minister says no electricity, fuel or humanitarian aid into Gaza until Hamas releases all captives taken in unprecedented attack.
Edited by cressida