Smoke In The Air?

We're at S14 and we've had to shut the windows because the air is thick with smoke, it's making our eyes water and me cough... but we've no idea where it's all coming from.

We can see out towards Graves Park and it's just like a misty day with how much is in the air.

Anyone know what's happening?

Edited by Pyrotequila

smoke from Moorland fires?

Deliberate 'controlled' burning of the Moorlands to the West of Sheffield.

We have a Clean Air Zone, but landowners who don't live here are allowed to fill the city with smoke.

Edited by ads36
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

smoke from Moorland fires?

Deliberate 'controlled' burning of the Moorlands to the West of Sheffield.

We have a Clean Air Zone, but landowners who don't live here are allowed to fill the city with smoke.

I was up near Redmires at 11:30 and they were burning the moors near there. The plume of smoke was heading for the city.

As already stated, it's controlled heather burning on Hallam Moor which is drifting on the prevailing  breeze/wind into Sheffield. If I was clever enough I would put up a picture up on here from across the valley at Rod Moor, Stannington taken approx 11.00am which clearly shows such a fire ... but I'm not!!

14 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I live in the South West and could smell a slight bonfire smell as I sat in my garden, enjoying the sunshine. It made me nostalgic from when I was a little girl

I love the smell of a bonfire. Someone is probably burning old furniture or something similar.

See previous posts - it is normal burning of moorland.