Smoke In The Air?

love the smell of burning heather and woodsmoke especially this time of year, i hope it blows right into the clean air zone . if you added the smell of 2 stroke motorcycle racing oil castrol R that would be perfect!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Smells quite nice. Shame they deliberately burn our nature. After all the fuss they made about the supposed sycamore tree "incident" too.

Who do you think 'they' are in either of the incidents you mention, and why do you think they would be the same people?

Re owners … 

I’m not sure if the national trust are the owners of the burnt land above Sheffield.  I understand the reason for the burning is to provide the perfect environment for grouse. And the reason for the grouse being there is to provide targets for individuals who have fat wallets to shoot in August. 

source

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-67058489.amp

I also believe there is a connection with some game keepers breaking the law harming raptors. 

imho - all a bit sick and pointless waste of life.  But then we all have different standards and values. 

Edited by srtaylo0
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Anna B said:

It's actually part of nature, and good for the land apparently.

it really isn't.

(more or less) the only plant that can survive the burning is heather, which regrows - and this is what Grouse eat.

These fires - and the regrowth of heather (and little else) support artificially high numbers of grouse - which the landowners charge people (££££/day) to shoot.

left alone, these landscapes will still have lots of heather, but also bog, and forest, and etc.

See what's slowly returning to Burbage for an idea of what we've lost.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ads36 said:

it really isn't.

(more or less) the only plant that can survive the burning is heather, which regrows - and this is what Grouse eat.

These fires - and the regrowth of heather (and little else) support artificially high numbers of grouse - which the landowners charge people (££££/day) to shoot.

left alone, these landscapes will still have lots of heather, but also bog, and forest, and etc.

See what's slowly returning to Burbage for an idea of what we've lost.

ok, fair enough, I certainly agree about the small animals and insects. 

Can you tell me why they do it? (serious question.) I always thought it was something to do with the carbon...  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Can you tell me why they do it? (serious question.) I always thought it was something to do with the carbon...  

Because these landowners charge £hundreds (often £thousands) per day, to shoot grouse.

The more grouse they have, the more money they make (no one would pay £5000 for a day's grouse shooting , if all the grouse got shot last week)

burning kills/suppresses most other plants, meaning more heather. Importantly, new growth heather - which the grouse eat.

so these burned landscapes can support more grouse, and that means more money.

as for carbon... peat moorland is a huge carbon store, bigger than our forests,  it's very important that we don't disturb it, by setting fire to it every year.

• Like 2