Atkinsons

Now I have been told Atkinsons is closing . Don't know if it is true ,but that is so sad if it is . One thing that kept me going all through Covid while working on the front line ,was eventually seeing my Mum & taking her to the cafe , latte for me & cup of tea for her & we did . We used to go to Debs ,but that closed & broke my heart , now our beloved Atkinsons may be going down the same path 

28 minutes ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Now I have been told Atkinsons is closing . Don't know if it is true ,but that is so sad if it is . One thing that kept me going all through Covid while working on the front line ,was eventually seeing my Mum & taking her to the cafe , latte for me & cup of tea for her & we did . We used to go to Debs ,but that closed & broke my heart , now our beloved Atkinsons may be going down the same path 

Could you tell us the source of this information. I for one don't believe it !

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

N-o-o-oo!

Atkinsons; a Sheffield treasure along side Hendersons Relish.

One of the first Department Stores in Sheffield, now destined to be the last?   

It already is the last isnt it? 

Unless you include Sandersons at Fox Valley.

A useful men's section upstairs with a couple of labels I like buying from, but otherwise very dated in terms of it's decor and overall retail offering. Seemed like the general products on offer were ok, but physical retail is a competitive business these day. The number of people who would be attracted to the look and feel of Atkinsons as a shop is diminishing, for various reasons.

It was dead when I last went in there.

Retail can still work - people talk about online shopping, but it still only accounted for about 26% of retail spend in 2023 in the UK. But you've got make shops attractive places to go.

When you look at the majority of The Moor in Sheffield city centre, it's currently successful, busy, and pulls people in - but it isn't actually providing all that many different names to the ones that you could get in Sheffield cc 10-20 years ago. The difference is it's now consolidated in one area, in new or refurbished buildings with new/refurbished public space around it.

But Atkinsons bucks that trend really; unlike the rest of the Moor neither the outside or inside look like they have changed in decades, apart from a bit of new cladding on the Charter Row side 10 or so years ago.

On the subject of Sheffield's remaining department stores - surely M&S counts?

I knew a senior manager there some years ago , he admitted that in the long term Atkinsons was allways going to struggle . It's customer base although very loyal  was allways in the upper age bracket and they were unable to attract the younger customers . Eventually time took its toll 

Is there any actual substance to this rumour because im smelling bull.

According to companies house the accounts filed in January this year showed assets and equity in the business over 2.2m and declaration from the board that the business remains a going concern for the foreseeable future. 

Id be interested in who has said what.

It might cater for the grey hair crowd but seems to have a steady footfall whenever I been in.  

Edited by ECCOnoob