Is This World Mad ?

10 hours ago, lavery549@yahoo said:

Never in my life did I ever think I would see so many cults springing up . For example JUST STOP OIL , classic one was the numpty on a plane wearing the T Shirt . ER exactly what , may I ask does a jet run on ? , These people can't debate because they are so brainwashed . So when anyone challenges them , they can't reply & either get the glazed look on their faces , or become defensive .  Is there any wonder ,I give them a wide berth ? 

Or start with the insults.

On 10/10/2023 at 22:16, Jack Grey said:

There have been end of the world cults since the beginning of time.

They're so narcissistic that they think the world will end during their tiny insignificant lives 

Climate change has become a religion where what they believe is infallible and all the unbelievers should be punished or killed 

There was  a doctor (a GP I think ? ) being interviewed on TalkRadio this morning.

He was literally saying "we are all going to die" [because of climate change].

Now, what is so frightening about that is that one would have thought a doctor was reasonably intelligent........

23 hours ago, Mister M said:

Coronavirus spawned a fair few conspiracy theories. 

It did. 

Like "this virus is indiscriminate", and "we must force people to get vaccinated to beat Covid", and "masks will save us from Covid", etc, etc.....

Edited by Chekhov

Things have got a lot worse since the Pandemic. There is such a thing as mass hysteria and I think the way the pandemic was handled created it.  So mass psychosis is may well also be  a thing. I don't know what's happening to people, but mental health is a big worry for a very large number of people, to the point of an epidemic, and nothing is being done about it.

I've been around a long time, and seen most things before, and seen them somehow sort themselves out, so not too worried about most things, eg climate change etc. But the kids take everything so seriously and are scared witless about it, along with many other things.

There is no balance anymore. Neither are there any certainties, no bedrock underlying the social structures. Nobody with acceptable answers to age old questions. We've created a vacuum and an existential crisis.

We've done this to ourselves.  I can't see a way back, but we need to find one fast.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Things have got a lot worse since the Pandemic. There is such a thing as mass hysteria and I think the way the pandemic was handled created it.  So mass psychosis is may well also be  a thing. I don't know what's happening to people, but mental health is a big worry for a very large number of people, to the point of an epidemic, and nothing is being done about it.

I've been around a long time, and seen most things before, and seen them somehow sort themselves out, so not too worried about most things, eg climate change etc. But the kids take everything so seriously and are scared witless about it, along with many other things.

There is no balance anymore. Neither are there any certainties, no bedrock underlying the social structures. Nobody with acceptable answers to age old questions. We've created a vacuum and an existential crisis.

We've done this to ourselves.  I can't see a way back, but we need to find one fast.

Indeed.

Everyone through social media and the news is being brainwashed to fear everything and everyone.

• Like 1

One of the issues seems to be not to be seen causing offence to someone or some group. 

Some walk the thin line of criminal behaviour and hide behind a supposedly vulnerable group identity so sure and direct action isn't taken.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vastris31 said:

It's definitely surprising to see how passionately some folks embrace causes without fully understanding the intricacies involved. Engaging in informed discussions is crucial, but it seems like some of these movements lack the depth needed for a meaningful debate. It's a complex world out there, and nuanced conversations often beat out catchy slogans.

What amazes me is the cancel culture in places like Oxbridge Universities where our brightest students and future leaders are supposed to be. Banning people like Germaine Greer and JK Rowling from debate is an utter disgrace.

10 hours ago, Anna B said:

Brilliant post.