On Line Stuff

Whilst  the internet ,smart phones etc are wonderful tools to help people keep in contact and access information I find is sad that so much life and contact is being missed by many people who are slaves to their phones. It seems that we are being conditioned to put all our wants and desires online. How many people go a few days without looking at their phones to check on social media and current trends?    We are getting to a stage where it will not be possible to live without instant access to online services, eg  banking parking and event tickets

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

The generation most resistant to it are dying out tbf. 

True, but a new 'old generation' is forming all the time, and will be heir to the same frailties of old age, unable to handle simple things because of memory problems etc.  

And, like the fancy new computerised cars, there's more to go wrong. 

Edited by Anna B

22 minutes ago, Anna B said:

]True, but a new 'old generation' is forming all the time, unable to handle simple things because of memory problems etc.  

And, like the fancy new computerised cars, there's more to go wrong. 

Do you drive Anna? I've had less trouble with my current car - had it for 8 years -  than any of the cars I owned for the previous 30 odd years. One battery and usual replacement tyres in that time. No clutch (twice), exhaust, coil, alternator, tracking, couple of batteries, starting problems etc.

Edited by Longcol

7 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Do you drive Anna? I've had less trouble with my current car - had it for 8 years -  than any of the cars I owned for the previous 30 odd years. One battery and usual replacement tyres in that time. No clutch (twice), exhaust, coil, alternator, tracking, couple of batteries, starting problems etc.

Yes I drive, but don't have much interest in cars. They're just a necessary means of getting from one place to another.  

I had a beautiful Peugeot Partner at one time, fantastic engine etc. but had to scrap it because computer went wrong and applied the anti-theft device so it wouldn't budge. Mechanics tried all sorts to no avail. Replacing computer would have cost more than car was worth so had to sell it for spare parts. Broke my heart. I've had it in for computerised stuff ever since. 

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

Yes I drive, but don't have much interest in cars. They're just a necessary means of getting from one place to another.  

I had a beautiful Peugeot Partner at one time, fantastic engine etc. but had to scrap it because computer went wrong and applied the anti-theft device so it wouldn't budge. Mechanics tried all sorts to no avail. Replacing computer would have cost more than car was worth so had to sell it for spare parts. Broke my heart. I've had it in for computerised stuff ever since. 

Just had my car MOT'd Anna.

Air bag light was on, cost me £112 to have it fixed!

I told the mechanic to just take the bulb out...

Chuffin ek Anna, Airbags!

Never used to have things like that.......

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

I know Padders, Airbags like seat belts are a good idea. What's wrong is the cost of the jobs. 

£80 quid to fix a dripping tap, a job I could have done myself in 5 minutes if I had the dexterity to wield a spanner... £80 bloody quid!

....and just how much do you think is fair Anna for someone to come out to your home in their vehicle, fix your problem with their tools, drive back to their next destination or back home using their fuel, possibly even come out of hours, do the paperwork and administration to invoice you for the job, deal with payment processing, discount their tax and NI, possibly pay their staff, contractors, external services and still make a bit of profit.

It's a business and they nearly all have a minimum charge even for minimal jobs.  If it's so easy as you describe, why couldn't you get a relative, a friend or neighbour to come and help you with such a problem rather than whining about the cost of a service that you chose to go with

Edited by ECCOnoob

40 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

....and just how much do you think is fair Anna for someone to come out to your home in their vehicle, fix your problem with their tools, drive back to their next destination or back home using their fuel, possibly even come out out of hours, do the paperwork and administration to invoice you for the job, deal with payment processing, discount their tax and NI, possibly pay their staff, contractors, external services and still make a bit of profit.

It's a business and then nearly all have a minimum charge even for minimal jobs.  If it's so easy as you describe, why couldn't you get a relative, a friend or neighbour to come and help you with such a problem rather than whining about the cost of a service that you chose to go with

Your right ECCO.

I fixed my own dripping tap, bit of messing about with the water supply, but simple enough..

It only wanted a new washer, but I bought the complete gland and swapped them over for about £6/7.

Plenty of help available on U-Tube as well.......

14 hours ago, Padders said:

Your right ECCO.

I fixed my own dripping tap, bit of messing about with the water supply, but simple enough..

It only wanted a new washer, but I bought the complete gland and swapped them over for about £6/7.

Plenty of help available on U-Tube as well.......

I know how to fix a tap, and have done it easily in the past. The problem was I didn't have the strength in my wrists to turn the stop **** to turn the water off. Old age eh. Always gets you in the end...