On Line Stuff

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I know how to fix a tap, and have done it easily in the past. The problem was I didn't have the strength in my wrists to turn the stop **** to turn the water off. Old age eh. Always gets you in the end...

It's not got me Anna,       YET!

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

OK so no friends, no acquaintances?

I am /was a very independent person. I find it very hard asking for help and putting on people. I'd rather pay for help and support local businesses. But I have been flabbergasted at the costs being charged these days. There is a shortage of qualified plumbers etc so I suppose this is reflected in the price. But as an OAP and someone who has always appreciated value for money I find it very hard to deal with rip-off merchants. 

Edited by Anna B

17 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I am /was a very independent person. I find it very hard asking for help and putting on people. I'd rather pay for help and support local businesses. But I have been flabbergasted at the costs being charged these days. There is a shortage of qualified plumbers etc so I suppose this is reflected in the price. But as an OAP and someone who has always appreciated value for money I find it very hard to deal with rip-off merchants. 

Same here Anna.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

I know how to fix a tap, and have done it easily in the past. The problem was I didn't have the strength in my wrists to turn the stop **** to turn the water off. Old age eh. Always gets you in the end...

But you are missing my point. I was asking you what you think is a fair price

They are a business.

If you scream the £80 is "a rip off".  What figure would you think is fair for a business to charge to drive out to you, fix the problem, deal with the administration, deal with the mileage and fuel and the depreciation for use of tools, pay their taxes, pay their staff and still make a profit on the job??

£50?  £20?  £5?

There are lots of things people could do themselves but they choose to pay for the service.  It's the same whines when people complain about cost of restaurants or coffee shops or frequently in my profession slagging off solicitors for all being "ripoff merchants" 

There's a reason why a cup of coffee that could be made for pennies at home is charged £2-£3 in a coffee shop.  There's a reason why hiring professionals with their business overheads and often staff to pay, costs far more than some amateur doing it as a hobby.

I don't know why you are so flabbergasted at the charges "these days".   Have you been under a rock?  With all increases in inflation, cost of living going up across the board and ever increasing demands by employees for more more more wages, what sort of impact do you think that has on a businesses bottom line?  

It's hardly a revolutionary concept and you will certainly be old enough to know this has happened many times before.  It's life.

At the end of the day, you chose to use the service. You chose to pay the quoted fee.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cressida said:

Well.  Padders if all Anna needs is someone with a strong wrist then you could pm her and arrange to turn the stop tap off,.

Already offered on here Cressy.

Only a few weeks ago I offered to unplug her Tele because she couldn't reach the plug round the back...

I believe she only lives about 5/10 minutes away so it's no problem to help someone...

• Like 2

On 13/10/2023 at 14:58, Padders said:

Already offered on here Cressy.

Only a few weeks ago I offered to unplug her Tele because she couldn't reach the plug round the back...

I believe she only lives about 5/10 minutes away so it's no problem to help someone...

Indeed.

Both you and Daddy offered practical help and support which touched me greatly Padders. 

The kindness of both of you meant more than you know. 

Thankyou so much.

Edited by Anna B