Trivia - Rough Areas That Used To Be Posh

Rough Areas That Used To Be Posh

Sheffield has seen many changes over the years. Some areas were not as they seem now. My grandmother told me that in the 1950s, Firth Park used to be posh, with many of the houses belonging to doctors who  worked at the nearby Northern General Hospital. I have also heard that Crookes used to be for well to do people during the industrial revolution. People would come to Crookes for the clean air, to convalesce from the smog of the factories. Then the Moorsyde estate was built and it all went down hill. 

What other areas can you think of that used to be held in high regard that are now, shall we say a bit dodgy?

greenhill was posh back in the 50s ,totley  was fully posh but certain parts now rough, but a lot is down to changes in generations ,if you lived in a council house in the 50s  you looked after it inc the gardens as many folk thought it was great after living in slums,but now anything goes and little  respect .

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bassett one said:

greenhill was posh back in the 50s ,totley  was fully posh but certain parts now rough, but a lot is down to changes in generations ,if you lived in a council house in the 50s  you looked after it inc the gardens as many folk thought it was great after living in slums,but now anything goes and little  respect .

There are some modest but nice looking houses in Greenhill. I wonder what effect the Lowedges estate has had on it over the years.  You are right about Totley, the estate behind Co Op looks rather dodgy.  The Westminster Estate in Lodge Moor is becoming very rough, with smackheads being moved in and ruining it. I feel sorry for those on the neighbouring Worcester Estate who spent £400,000 plus to live in a nice area to have to put up with that across the road.

4 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

There are some modest but nice looking houses in Greenhill. I wonder what effect the Lowedges estate has had on it over the years.  You are right about Totley, the estate behind Co Op looks rather dodgy.  The Westminster Estate in Lodge Moor is becoming very rough, with smackheads being moved in and ruining it. I feel sorry for those on the neighbouring Worcester Estate who spent £400,000 plus to live in a nice area to have to put up with that across the road.

The Green Oak estate is no 'dodgier' than the surrounding area - and there is very little criminal behaviour in the whole area, in fact our local CIC  struggles to find any real bad news for its quarterly magazine.

Stannington.    You had to wait twelve years on the housing list to get on there,   now it's  really rough.    The rot set in when they let young people have the high rise blocks that had been for elderly people.      Then they put in homeless & immigrants & it went downhill fast.

There was a strong community spirit up there before, as many of the tenants moved in when the two estates were built,  and grew up together.  It's still the best place I've ever lived but I wouldn't go back now.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Sheffield has seen many changes over the years. Some areas were not as they seem now. My grandmother told me that in the 1950s, Firth Park used to be posh, with many of the houses belonging to doctors who  worked at the nearby Northern General Hospital. I have also heard that Crookes used to be for well to do people during the industrial revolution. People would come to Crookes for the clean air, to convalesce from the smog of the factories. Then the Moorsyde estate was built and it all went down hill. 

What other areas can you think of that used to be held in high regard that are now, shall we say a bit dodgy?

You are correct regarding Firth Park, it was a respectable area well into the 60's. Don't know about doctors, you are probably confusing it with the Abbeyfield area which has some fine houses.

Crookes has never been for well-to-do people, that is Broomhill and areas adjoining. It was however, well known for it's bracing climate and people did go there for their health. It is mainly a mass of terrace housing and was a very respectable working class suburb, until the comparatively recent recent arrival of a student population and many incomers. The Moorsyde estate has been there for almost a hundred years, is very small  and has has little impact it's as much Walkley as Crookes. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lovelace said:

Stannington.    You had to wait twelve years on the housing list to get on there,   now it's  really rough.    The rot set in when they let young people have the high rise blocks that had been for elderly people.      Then they put in homeless & immigrants & it went downhill fast.

There was a strong community spirit up there before, as many of the tenants moved in when the two estates were built,  and grew up together.  It's still the best place I've ever lived but I wouldn't go back now.

It's funny you mention Stannington, I was thinking of it when I made my original post. Apparently a lot of people were moved there from Wybourn etc. It's not somewhere I feel comfortable in the day time and certainly not of an evening. The "village" part reeks of weed and every dog I saw being walked was a bull dog. The houses on Deer Park are an eye sore. Lots of wanna be gangsters hanging around outside the Spar and the chain smoking woman outside the hardware store. I was up there in the summer for something and was waiting outside the Spar for a good 30 minutes, she never put her fag down once. I have heard elders say that it used to be a respectable area, sad really. Chapeltown is another area that has gone to the dogs too. 

6 minutes ago, Elmambo said:

Abbeyfield area

Is the Abbeyfield area Pye Bank Road, Rock street etc?

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

Yoo Hoo Irene :wave: :wave: :wave:

This country is rapidly going down hill..

Especially Northern Citys.

All the posh area's are in decline.

In another 20 or so years, Sheffield will taken over by the residents of Page Hall..

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

Yoo Hoo Irene :wave: :wave: :wave:

This country is rapidly going down hill..

Especially Northern Citys.

All the posh area's are in decline.

In another 20 or so years, Sheffield will taken over by the residents of Page Hall..

Indeed. You will have to relocate Padders's bar to Surrey!