Trivia - Rough Areas That Used To Be Posh

I believe Burngreave used to be posh, in the 1800s with it's big houses belonging to steel industrialists and coal barrons, but no longer.

On the other hand Broomhill used to be posh, got very run down and became Sheffield's red light district in the 50's 60's and 70's but is now quite posh again, with its bijou Victorian houses.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I believe Burngreave used to be posh, in the 1800s with it's big houses belonging to steel industrialists and coal barrons, but no longer.

On the other hand Broomhill used to be posh, got very run down and became Sheffield's red light district in the 50's 60's and 70's but is now quite posh again, with its bijou Victorian houses.

I believe Peter Sutcliffe was captured in Broomhill.

6 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I believe Peter Sutcliffe was captured in Broomhill.

Just down from Broomhill proper - Melbourne Avenue near the lights on Glossop Road by King Teds. I think that's only been known for about 40  years.

• Like 1

The original 'Broomhill' was the house of Thomas Newbould on Newbould Lane,

What is now Broomhill 'centre' was Crookesmoor racecourse(q.v. Stand House on Manchester Rd.)

The new Glossop Road turnpike and its proximity the routes to Crookes, pubs, shops, later horse and electric trams, created

the 'modern' layout of Broomhill.

1 hour ago, MyFriendStan said:

Longley is still a beautiful estate with a gorgeous park on our doorstep plus we have a better class of litter.

Don't forget Stanley, Longley is also the location of the famous "Padders Bar.

Set in it's own idyllic picturesque grounds, this medieval coaching house attracts visitors from far and wide...

15 hours ago, Anna B said:

Think you are confusing Broomhill with Broomhall here.