Trivia - Rough Areas That Used To Be Posh

3 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Grew up in Page Hall great place now beyond repair thanks to.powers that be !

Same could be said for lots of areas in Sheffield, but agree Page Hall is naff.

Firth Park not far behind.

Left Sheffield twelve years ago…..

Miss the good old times…but move back today…no way!

On 12/10/2023 at 20:39, Irene Swaine said:

About 11 years ago. It's a common tactic of the council to move problem families from one estate to another.

I’ve heard that said in other local authorities, and yet having worked in housing in and out of Sheffield never actually seen it happen.  There’s been a bidding system in place for council housing in Sheffield for longer than 11 years.   That basically  means that applicants choose the areas they apply for, and allocations are based on need.  Local authorities have a statutory duty to house certain categories of households, especially those with children.   The days are long gone when families were placed according to what officers or councillors thought of them.

There is also a perception that some properties are still owned by the council, when the original owners (who bought through Right to Buy) sold them on to private landlords.  The council have no jurisdiction over those tenancies.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lionel Richtea said:

Nope - but my sibling went out with one who I suspect was in that hall. We were living nearby.

They lived there at first then moved into a comedy student house near Carterknowle Road, I presume after first year.

OK, but that 'hall' wasn't that big, was under-occupied and there were very few 'student houses' in the area - if you were nearby, you would know it was a predominately owner-occupied area, except for the Green Oak council estate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, RollingJ said:

OK, but that 'hall' wasn't that big, was under-occupied and there were very few 'student houses' in the area - if you were nearby, you would know it was a predominately owner-occupied area, except for the Green Oak council estate.

"We have never had a 'student' population in the area - we are too far from SHU/UoS."

Except for that one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lionel Richtea said:

"We have never had a 'student' population in the area - we are too far from SHU/UoS."

Except for that one.

But very few of them, unless they are indigenous to the area (i.e. born here) will be living in the area under discussion.

• Haha 1