Prisons Full, Burglars & Rapists Not Jailed

The Times is reporting that judges are being told not to jail burglars and rapists because jails are beyond full capacity.

There is a sliw moving project to jail criminals in other countries.

I visited Belize jail with the RMP when stationed there. That should be better value than any European country. 

Serious crimes need serious consequences so the death sentence should be reconsidered when you look at a life prisoner costing £3 million

Just now, Findlay said:

The Times is reporting that judges are being told not to jail burglars and rapists because jails are beyond full capacity.

There is a sliw moving project to jail criminals in other countries.

I visited Belize jail with the RMP when stationed there. That should be better value than any European country. 

Serious crimes need serious consequences so the death sentence should be reconsidered when you look at a life prisoner costing £3 million

The death penalty should NOT be reconsidered for any reason. Especially financial. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

The death penalty should NOT be reconsidered for any reason. Especially financial. 

Totally agree - Prison warden numbers - along with most public servants, eg police, have been drastically cut by the Tory governments of the last 13 years, numbers on remand increased because funding for courts has been cut, prisons getting decrepit etc etc

3 minutes ago, Findlay said:

So what do you propose to do with thousands of criminals who cannot be released due to their risk to the public?

They cannot be rehabilitated and we no longer lock animals up in zoos, never mind humans. It's inhumane.

I don't have the answers I'm afraid. 

I just know that state sponsored murder isn't the answer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Totally agree - Prison warden numbers - along with most public servants, eg police, have been drastically cut by the Tory governments of the last 13 years, numbers on remand increased because funding for courts has been cut, prisons getting decrepit etc etc

Prisons should be decrepit .

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Agreed. The whole system is a mess. It's funny how we can always find money for wars but not for things like this. 

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

No. They should be clean, safe and fit for purpose. Treating people like animals doesn't encourage them to be good citizens when released in my opinion. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

And so short staffed that prisoners in Wandsworth are brewing alcohol in their cells, warders being regularly assualted...........

2 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Agreed. The whole system is a mess. It's funny how we can always find money for wars but not for things like this. 

HMG haven't found a way for their pals to profit from this like they did with covid PPE - yet............

5 minutes ago, Longcol said:

HMG haven't found a way for their pals to profit from this like they did with covid PPE - yet............

Give them time.

Personally I think some politicians would like our prison system to be like America's. Plenty of money to be made with that system and to hell with the inmates. 

9 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

No. They should be clean, safe and fit for purpose. Treating people like animals doesn't encourage them to be good citizens when released in my opinion. 

Wonder what the re offending rate is , in these nice clean ,safe and fit for purpose places .