Electric Cars. Fact Or Fiction

3 hours ago, ads36 said:

we used to have cheap buses - they're gone.

Here I agree with you, and, as my earlier post pointed out, it isn't just the cost, it's the frequency :

Funnily enough I have just bought a 1978 SYPTE bus timetable off E bay, and it is very interesting, it reminds me of happier times.....

The bus service from Sheffield to Oughtibridge was every 20 min for most of the day, and even late on there were buses from Sheff at 2150, 2210, 2240 and 2300 ! ! !

Now it's about every 30 min and the last buses are 2049 and then a 2 hour wait until 2249 ! ! !

How **** is that ?

I want more carrots  to encourage people to use public transport, and fewer sticks. After all we are supposed to live in a free country.

3 hours ago, ads36 said:

we build shops / houses / etc which are almost impossible to walk to - there's a shop over the road at work, i sometimes go there to pick up a few things for lunch. It's just over the road, but the walkable route requires me to cross 11  (ELEVEN!) lanes of traffic. Some of my colleagues drive there - it's literally the other side of the road.

11 lanes, where is that ?

But, of course, if there really is 11 lanes, that's because a lot of people (all paying loads of fuel tax and VAT) who want to drive on that road, and we are supposed to live in a free country.....

3 hours ago, ads36 said:

(we tolerate parking more or less anywhere)

Really ? ! ?

Do you drive on the same roads as me ? ! ?

Edited by Chekhov

38 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Here I agree with you, and, as my earlier post pointed out, it isn't just the cost, it's the frequency :

Funnily enough I have just bought a 1978 SYPTE bus timetable off E bay, and it is very interesting, it reminds me of happier times.....

The bus service from Sheffield to Oughtibridge was every 20 min for most of the day, and even late on there were buses from Sheff at 2150, 2210, 2240 and 2300 ! ! !

Now it's about every 30 min and the last buses are 2049 and then a 2 hour wait until 2249 ! ! !

How **** is that ?

I want more carrots  to encourage people to use public transport, and fewer sticks. After all we are supposed to live in a free country.

11 lanes, where is that ?

But, of course, if there really is 11 lanes, that's because a lot of people (all paying loads of fuel tax and VAT) who want to drive on that road, and we are supposed to live in a free country.....

Really ? ! ?

Do you drive on the same roads as me ? ! ?

https://twitter.com/WalkSheffield/status/1727267962791526673?t=uxMOTrz2kGBZxYcGWPOG4g&s=19

• Like 1

On 22/11/2023 at 14:33, Bargepole23 said:

Are you talking about cars parked on pavements ?

That has to be taken on a case by case basis in my view.

It is never acceptable to park so far on a pavement that, say, someone pushing a pram could not get past, they should get a parking ticket for doing that.

But, on the other hand, I could show you countless roads where if two cars parked opposite each other fully on the road they would literally block the road. Thus, so long as they are not fully blocking the pavement (as above) then that is actually considerate parking.

On 22/11/2023 at 10:50, ads36 said:

we used to have an extensive tram network - that's gone.

we used to have cheap buses - they're gone.

we spend countless £millions trying to squeeze a few more cars through junctions - and *every* time we do this we make walking and cycling harder, slower, longer.

(Bridghouses roundabout, Shalesmoor, Broadfield rd, etc.)

we protest *against* measures which would allow the automatic fining of people who park in bus-lanes.

(we tolerate parking more or less anywhere)

we build shops / houses / etc which are almost impossible to walk to - there's a shop over the road at work, i sometimes go there to pick up a few things for lunch. It's just over the road, but the walkable route requires me to cross 11  (ELEVEN!) lanes of traffic. Some of my colleagues drive there - it's literally the other side of the road.

etc.

Cheap buses!  For who, not the ratepayers, as it was then.

36 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Are you talking about cars parked on pavements ?

That has to be taken on a case by case basis in my view.

It is never acceptable to park so far on a pavement that, say, someone pushing a pram could not get past, they should get a parking ticket for doing that.

But, on the other hand, I could show you countless roads where if two cars parked opposite each other fully on the road they would literally block the road. Thus, so long as they are not fully blocking the pavement (as above) then that is actually considerate parking.

Agreed, but it would be nice if the problem areas, and there are plenty of them, were "policed" and tickets/impoundings dished out daily, such that it becomes impossible to park without penalty.

1 hour ago, spilldig said:

Cheap buses!  For who, not the ratepayers, as it was then.

That's correct.  we had one of the finest and cheapest transport systems in the country.

And yes,  it was for the ratepayers and everyone else.

You obviously believe in no transport system at all because there is no such thing as a freebie. If you need it,  you have to pay for it.

It would help if so many people were not too idle to walk,  especially with regard to parking cars.

Edited by Organgrinder

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Agreed, but it would be nice if the problem areas, and there are plenty of them, were "policed" and tickets/impoundings dished out daily, such that it becomes impossible to park without penalty.

Probably far too great a cost to be realistic thought.  Considering the council budget is stretched already, would you rather they go mad on nuisance parking or put some more people into things like Social care?

I'd say looking after others and improving the lives of those in need trumps parking problems.

3 hours ago, geared said:

Probably far too great a cost to be realistic thought.  Considering the council budget is stretched already, would you rather they go mad on nuisance parking or put some more people into things like Social care?

I'd say looking after others and improving the lives of those in need trumps parking problems.

As would I.

A shame it can't be put out to a private contractor, and up the fines as required for them to generate enough money to make it worthwhile. But then people as people stopped their antisocial parking, the opportunity for revenue falls. More thinking needed, or properly funded local government.

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

As would I.

A shame it can't be put out to a private contractor, and up the fines as required for them to generate enough money to make it worthwhile. But then people as people stopped their antisocial parking, the opportunity for revenue falls. More thinking needed, or properly funded local government.

They could do it much cheaper than that if they accepted photo evidence from the public.  They do accept photo evidence of other traffic offences,  so why not ?

It would be right,  that the pubic who are suffering the inconvenience,  were the ones who would be bringing them to book.

I expect this post will bring out the worst among some of our posters and I can easily guess who will be first.   Have fun.

They might be worried about photo manipulation and false allegations.  Could leave the council in a tight spot if they're dishing out fines based on faked evidence.

The Police accept video evidence of driving offences, it's much harder (but still possible) for people to fake that.