Electric Cars. Fact Or Fiction

15 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

But the current price of EV's is much higher than the equivalent petrol/diesel vehicle, so fewer will be able to acquire one.

The relative price will come down as they become the majority car type on the road, but even so - I'm not saying that they're aren't more expensive, I'm saying that what Cyclunt describes is only exacerbating a very real, pre-existing issue that often gets overlooked, so complaining that somehow it's the rise of electric cars that would cause those inequalities is wrong.

It's not a good argument for being cynical about electric cars because it's not a new problem.

3 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

The relative price will come down as they become the majority car type on the road, but even so - I'm not saying that they're aren't more expensive, I'm saying that what Cyclunt describes is only exacerbating a very real, pre-existing issue that often gets overlooked, so complaining that somehow it's the rise of electric cars that would cause those inequalities is wrong.

It's not a good argument for being cynical about electric cars because it's not a new problem.

Are you sure about your first point, although I agree that is what  should happen?

3 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Your argument is counter intuitive.

You are saying that because some people cannot afford a car now, it doesn't matter if even more cannot afford a  car when everyone is forced to buy a significantly more expensive electric one !

Edited by Chekhov

5 hours ago, RollingJ said:

But the current price of EV's is much higher than the equivalent petrol/diesel vehicle, so fewer will be able to acquire one.

With all things taken into account, the average cost of running an electric car is £1,264, compared to £1,843 for a petrol car. This research was based on the average annual mileage of a UK motorist in this pandemic-affected world (6,700 miles) and paying £1.62 a litre for petrol or 28p a kWh for electricity.

https://www.cinch.co.uk/news/electric-vs-petrol-car-costs

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

With all things taken into account, the average cost of running an electric car is £1,264, compared to £1,843 for a petrol car. This research was based on the average annual mileage of a UK motorist in this pandemic-affected world (6,700 miles) and paying £1.62 a litre for petrol or 28p a kWh for electricity.

I was talking the initial cost, not the running costs, and  assume, from the wording of that quote, that it is a little out of date.

13 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I was talking the initial cost, not the running costs, and  assume, from the wording of that quote, that it is a little out of date.

Yes probably out of date, more people generate their own electricity these days.

The Government are committed to net zero, so there will likely to be more wind and solar subsidies coming our way and higher costs for coal/gas energy.

Just now, El Cid said:

Yes probably out of date, more people generate their own electricity these days.

The Government are committed to net zero, so there will likely to be more wind and solar subsidies coming our way and higher costs for coal/gas energy.

How?

They say they are committed, but how true is this, and is it even possible?

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

It is the purchase price which makes electric cars prohibitive, and, with the price of batteries, I cannot see a reliable second hand electric vehicle ever being any where near as cheap as a petrol or diesel.

That said I am unconvinced the price of elec will do anything but go up. Although they would not admit to, the government, or at least the those in it concerned about "Nett Zero", are delighted the price of gas and elec has gone through the roof. It would have had to do that anyway to try and reduce demand for energy, yet they have had the good fortune that they are not being blamed for it.

The top and bottom of it is that getting to "Nett Zero" will require painful "behavioural change", and that can only be accomplished by price. Thus poor people will have to make more "behavioural changes" than rich people.

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

Hardly anyone, unless they owned a small solar farm, could produce all, or even most of, their own elec.

We have a 3.6kW solar system on our roof in perfect unobstructed alignment with the sun. It only produces about 3300kWH a year......

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Chekhov said:

That said I am unconvinced the price of elec will do anything but go up.

it's already occasionally negative.

Octopus energy have set up a system, which pays the consumer (that's us) to use electricity.

https://octopus.energy/smart/agile/

basically, when it's very windy, Octopus customers are being paid to charge their cars.

(which is something i predicted a couple of years ago!)

And we're still building wind turbines = even more surplus energy in winter. 

18 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Most people with electric cars will be sensible enough NOT to be paying 28p a unit for electric to charge their car tbh, given the number of TOU electric tarriffs available to electric car users.

• Like 1