Electric Cars. Fact Or Fiction

59 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Thank's for clearing that up geared, I always thought that No 10 said, The Northern Poorhouse.

As a point to demonstrate, Leeds is the largest city in Western Europe without a mass transit network.

https://medium.com/@Bliffman/leeds-is-the-largest-city-in-western-europe-without-a-mass-transit-system-21c0eea13a36

And as something to remember in the future, the Government has announced funding to built a Tram network in the city.  Perhaps check back in a few years to see if that actually happens or is just another broken promise to the North.  I suspect the latter.

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/yorkshire/news/2114713-government-promises-tram-network-for-leeds

On 18/10/2023 at 12:35, ads36 said:

depends how you look at it.

financing and running a car costs £4k/year, we ditched our 2nd car a few years ago = one of the best decisions we ever made.

i can meet some friends in a pub, have a few pints, and get a bus home.

i never have to remember to book a bus in for it's MOT/service/tyre change.

lots of people can't drive - either too young, too old, or health issues. To them, a car would be completely pointless.

Yet the young and old who can't drive often have to depend on other car drivers, taxis, lifts, etc

and for those with ill health / mobility issues, a car is essential.

There's nothing wrong with public transport providing it is regular, reliable, affordable and goes where you need to go. Too often it is none of these things and probably never will be.

Edited by Anna B

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

There's nothing wrong with public transport providing it is regular, reliable, affordable and goes where you need to go. Too often it is none of these things and probably never will be.

it works extremely well in countries that take it seriously.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Not much help with the weekly shop with 8 bags of food

Or when you need to take the cat to a vet that's not on a transport link

Or for taking a sick relative to hospital

Or for picking up DIY supplies from B&Q

Or for dropping the kids off at school that's 5 miles away

Or taking your nan to East Midlands airport to save her getting a train and a bus with a big suitcase

I think of hundreds of reasons why a car is better than public transport 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Or taking your nan to East Midlands airport to save her getting a train and a bus with a big suitcase

Exactly Jack. We agree for once. 

18 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Or work in town and its easier to not have to park.

Or let the kids use the bus to get to school.

Or out drinking in town and don't want to drink and drive.

Or travelling for work in another town/city and I can work on the train.

I can think of hundreds of reasons why a car is better than public transport.

I can also understand that there are circumstances where one is more suitable than the other, and decide accordingly.

• Like 1

I've got a friend's who daughter just passed her driving test so my friend is gonna buy her a car so she can get to college and to her job working behind a bar in the weekends

I said would he buy her an electric car and he said absolutely not

He said she forgets to charge her phone most nights 

Electric cars take too much thought and planning to be a safe mode of transport for a stupid teenage girl 

He'd be out every night picking her up because she has run out of charge in the middle of nowhere...alone 

I see his point 🤔

Edited by Jack Grey

7 hours ago, geared said:

As a point to demonstrate, Leeds is the largest city in Western Europe without a mass transit network.

https://medium.com/@Bliffman/leeds-is-the-largest-city-in-western-europe-without-a-mass-transit-system-21c0eea13a36

And as something to remember in the future, the Government has announced funding to built a Tram network in the city.  Perhaps check back in a few years to see if that actually happens or is just another broken promise to the North.  I suspect the latter.

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/yorkshire/news/2114713-government-promises-tram-network-for-leeds

The Leeds Supertram would have cost the equivalent to the £2.5 billion, which was roughly three lines going into the center. I guess you could call it a partial mass transit system. Not a patch on what Manchester have.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

The Leeds Supertram would have cost the equivalent to the £2.5 billion, which was roughly three lines going into the center. I guess you could call it a partial mass transit system. Not a patch on what Manchester have.

and yet it'd still be a damn sight more than what they currently have.