One Four One Bar, West Street - Avoid

Irene Swaine

7 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

You walked up to a closed bar, that you had no interest in visiting, read a sign on the wall about their ID practices, then went back or contacted them later on to quiz them further on it?

I read the sign, I then came here to warn people. It's creepy, potentially illegal (most probably) and off putting. We don't know who the owner is or whether has has a DBS check. You can find out a lot about people with their name and date of birth. 

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I read the sign, I then came here to warn people. It's creepy, potentially illegal (most probably) and off putting. We don't know who the owner is or whether has has a DBS check. You can find out a lot about people with their name and date of birth. 

So it is all your interpretation, and you have done nothing other than 'read a sign'?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

So when did 'they' tell you, and who are 'they'?

They told me. 

I actually don't entirely disagree with you on the points you raise but, I'm trying to be fair to the bar here because we don't seem to have all the information, i.e. their confirmation of their side of the story.

If it was just any old bar like One Four One is, I doubt I'd bother letting them scan anything, but somewhere like -  for example - Dempseys it's not unusual for them to have a copy of ID which they then ask for at subsequent visits, mainly for safety reasons. 

I've no idea of the legalities behind it all though. If Dempseys have sold some of the info on my driving licence, I doubt it's the worst bit of data harvesting I've been subject to in my life. A Tesco clubcard record is probably more valuable!

Edited by AndrewC

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

So when did 'they' tell you, and who are 'they'?

I actually don't entirely disagree with you on the points you raise but, I'm trying to be fair to the bar here because we don't seem to have all the information, i.e. their confirmation of their side of the story.

If it was just any old bar like One Four One is, I doubt I'd bother letting them scan anything, but somewhere like -  for example - Dempseys it's not unusual for them to have a copy of ID which they then ask for at subsequent visits, mainly for safety reasons. 

I've no idea of the legalities behind it all though. If Dempseys have sold some of the info on my driving licence, I doubt it's the worst bit of data harvesting I've been subject to in my life. A Tesco clubcard record is probably more valuable!

They = the bar. The bar had a poster up which told me the information, including that they KEEP details on file.

I would not give such details to anyone who is not a FCA regulated organisation, such as a bank, or a government body, such as Sheffield City Council. 

The bar owner is a civillian and not a government authority. I would not trust them with my details. 

45 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

It's not illegal. Many bar/clubs/venues have ID scanners.  If your really worried contact the bar and ask them what they do with the data.

I already know what they do with it, they keep it on file, the question is, why, who has access to it and what are they doing with it? Why would a bar owner want to collect details of other people's security documents?

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

I literally posted a link that tells you why, the Northampton scheme is no different to the rationale why it happens here.

That scheme is not operating here. And I am not aware of any other bars in Sheffield doing this, so I don't see why this one bar has taken it upon themselves to do this.  I am always suspicious of giving out my personal details, with the risk of them being used for fraud, human trafficking, illegal migration or even someone using them to harm me. 

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

That scheme is not operating here. And I am not aware of any other bars in Sheffield doing this, so I don't see why this one bar has taken it upon themselves to do this.  I am always suspicious of giving out my personal details, with the risk of them being used for fraud, human trafficking, illegal migration or even someone using them to harm me. 

You sure?

And your paranoia is showing.

Edited by RollingJ

It’s not a new thing.

Theyve been talking about implementing it for years…

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/id-scanners-could-be-installed-in-pubs-and-clubs-in-sheffield-440119

The Foundry has had them since 2017.

Dempseys have them.

Tiger Works are going to be linking theirs with fingerprint recognition for people that want to do it.

Edited by nikki-red