Is Whsmiths Next?

With the collapse of Wilko's and Boots shutting down hundreds of shops 

Is WHSmiths next leave the high street?

I haven't been in one for about 10 years and I only went into buy a newspaper at a train station

Does anyone still use WHSmiths?

The one on fargate had scaffolding in front of it for years so forgot it was even there 

They're much better located than the likes of Wilko, in stations, in airports, hospitals etc etc  Those places are always really busy

The larger shops may not be as profitable, but if push comes to shove they can probably get rid of some stores and still remain afloat.

I think half the issue many stores face are overly-greedy commercial landlords.  It's hard to make a quid when someone's hand is constantly in your pocket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

With the collapse of Wilko's and Boots shutting down hundreds of shops 

Is WHSmiths next leave the high street?

I haven't been in one for about 10 years and I only went into buy a newspaper at a train station

Does anyone still use WHSmiths?

The one on fargate had scaffolding in front of it for years so forgot it was even there 

I hope not, I got 2 gift cards for my birthday 😂

• Haha 1

The high street stores might start dwindling a bit but I think there's longevity still in the company.

They were smart with their locations in railway stations, airports, hospitals, motorway services etc and still get a lot of footfall.  Everyone seems to complain about them. Everyone seems to moan about the prices but when you're stuck in an airport for several hours suddenly realise you need a charger or book or bottle of water or snack to shut the kids up it's going to be there you go.  When you are rushing through a railway station and need to grab a magazine or notepad  it's there you go.

Unlike Woolworths and Wilko,  Smiths got ahead of the game with diversifying.  That's why they have multiple brands and operations including America the UAE from airport retailers to toy shops, coffee bars to online.

The wider group is far more than just the stationers we see on the High Street. 

Also posted this earlier this morning into the Fargate redemption thread. 

Popped into W H Smith's on Fargate about an hour ago & heard a bit of a conversation between a customer & one of the staff.  By the sounds of things, it looks as they are on the verge of closing the store. 

• Like 1

Can't blame retailers for preferring to sell on the internet,  the rates are too high even for high end shops,  not sure where people are going to get their weekly exercise,  maybe pushing a trolley around a supermarket will suffice.😉