Is Whsmiths Next?

1 minute ago, cressida said:

Can't blame retailers for preferring to sell on the internet,  the rates are too high even for high end shops,  not sure where people are going to get their weekly exercise,  maybe pushing a trolley around a supermarket will suffice.😉

Its a sad fact Cressida . Other week wanted a birthday sash for a friend , went in five shops , nothing . Got home , ordered it on internet , got it in post next day .

6 minutes ago, cressida said:

Can't blame retailers for preferring to sell on the internet,  the rates are too high even for high end shops,  not sure where people are going to get their weekly exercise,  maybe pushing a trolley around a supermarket will suffice.😉

Trouble is, even supermarkets do home delivery nowadays, so none of us actually need a shop. 

13 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Its a sad fact Cressida . Other week wanted a birthday SWASH for a friend , went in five shops , nothing . Got home , ordered it on internet , got it in post next day .

Can't reply as well you know!

Next thing is your other half will appear if I converse with you any more.

Edited by cressida
  • Confused 1

If prices for leasing the premises are cripplingly high, what W H Smith should consider is teaming up with another business that will get people in to their store and foot half of the rent.  For example, they could have a Costa in store, that will get people coming in for their coffee fix but also more footfall through the store and more chance for impulse purchases. Next and Costa have adopted this approach on The Moor.

Edited by Irene Swaine

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

If prices for leasing the premises are cripplingly high, what W H Smith should consider is teaming up with another business that will get people in to their store and foot half of the rent.  For example, they could have a Costa in store, that will get people coming in for their coffee fix but also more footfall through the store and more chance for impulse purchases. Next and Costa have adopted this approach on The Moor.

You will find that  this is more than just on The Moor - you will find Costa concessions in a number of Next - and other - stores.

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

You will find that  this is more than just on The Moor - you will find Costa concessions in a number of Next - and other - stores.

All stores can't have a Costa though or there would be no incentive to go in,  there is a limited market. I  think some of the stores need to do something a bit different, have a greater range of goods, anything to make the shop attractive to go into and encourage customers. 

1 minute ago, Meltman said:

All stores can't have a Costa though or there would be no incentive to go in,  there is a limited market. I  think some of the stores need to do something a bit different, have a greater range of goods, anything to make the shop attractive to go into and encourage customers. 

Agreed. I tend to use 'dedicated' Costa's, although I  have used concessions or Costa 'store-within-a store' if they are the nearest when I've wanted a drink.

1 minute ago, Meltman said:

I'm not sure what you mean, there'd be no incentive to go in?  W H Smith only operate one or two stores for every large town and city. WH Smith do have a wide range of goods, from books, maps and A to Zs to pencil cases, to sweets and carbonated sodas. They could perhaps expand on their seasonal range, for example more Christmas gifts/novelties, Easter egg hunt kits, Halloween craft kits.