Is Whsmiths Next?

11 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

If prices for leasing the premises are cripplingly high, what W H Smith should consider is teaming up with another business that will get people in to their store and foot half of the rent.  For example, they could have a Costa in store, that will get people coming in for their coffee fix but also more footfall through the store and more chance for impulse purchases. Next and Costa have adopted this approach on The Moor.

There used to be a Costa inside WHSmith at Meadowhall.  It’s not there anymore so can only assume it wasn’t an overwhelming success.  Personally I’m not keen on cafes inside shops unless they completely separated from the retail area.  I find it distracting and off putting for shopping.  Too many people traipsing across the shop with no intention of buying anything except from the cafe, too many wailing children and often an overused and under cleaned toilet that doesn’t smell nice with yet more (sometimes unsavoury) footfall for that with no intention of spending in either the shop or cafe.!

15 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I'm not sure what you mean, there'd be no incentive to go in?  W H Smith only operate one or two stores for every large town and city. WH Smith do have a wide range of goods, from books, maps and A to Zs to pencil cases, to sweets and carbonated sodas. They could perhaps expand on their seasonal range, for example more Christmas gifts/novelties, Easter egg hunt kits, Halloween craft kits. 

I think it’s more about presentation than stock.  The one in town is often messy with the magazines all muddled up but I suppose that’s often the fault of customers (or browsing magazines for free types).  I’ve been to WHSmiths in small towns that are much more tidy and pleasant to shop in.  

Edited by pfifes

48 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

If prices for leasing the premises are cripplingly high, what W H Smith should consider is teaming up with another business that will get people in to their store and foot half of the rent.  For example, they could have a Costa in store, that will get people coming in for their coffee fix but also more footfall through the store and more chance for impulse purchases. Next and Costa have adopted this approach on The Moor.

I suppose it would make perfect sense to put all the major post offices inside a high street WHSmiths

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I'm not sure what you mean, there'd be no incentive to go in?  W H Smith only operate one or two stores for every large town and city. WH Smith do have a wide range of goods, from books, maps and A to Zs to pencil cases, to sweets and carbonated sodas. They could perhaps expand on their seasonal range, for example more Christmas gifts/novelties, Easter egg hunt kits, Halloween craft kits. 

I wasn't talking about WHSmith in particular but shops in general. The shop has to be clean and tidy,well stocked and the staff polite and friendly for a start. Referring to  W H Smiths,  I know of 3 branches and when I've been in, not very often I admit, they have all been quiet. 

2 minutes ago, Meltman said:

I wasn't talking about WHSmith in particular but shops in general. The shop has to be clean and tidy,well stocked and the staff polite and friendly for a start. Referring to  W H Smiths,  I know of 3 branches and when I've been in, not very often I admit, they have all been quiet. 

Fargate is fairly quiet for the size of it but the Interchage branch does fairly well. The other convenience store in the Interchange having shut down will help as well, I suppose.

46 minutes ago, pfifes said:

There used to be a Costa inside WHSmith at Meadowhall.  It’s not there anymore so can only assume it wasn’t an overwhelming success.  Personally I’m not keen on cafes inside shops unless they completely separated from the retail area.  I find it distracting and off putting for shopping.  Too many people traipsing across the shop with no intention of buying anything except from the cafe, too many wailing children and often an overused and under cleaned toilet that doesn’t smell nice with yet more (sometimes unsavoury) footfall for that with no intention of spending in either the shop or cafe.!

The cafe in Waterstones works very well, usually well used and is one of the nicest places in town to meet for a coffee IMO. 

12 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

The cafe in Waterstones works very well, usually well used and is one of the nicest places in town to meet for a coffee IMO. 

Yes, Waterstones does this better than most.  I think partly because they locate their cafes in a more suitable location in store so they are not too intrusive to shoppers browsing.  I still think they would be better completely separated from the retail area though but each to their own.