Debenhams To Be A Ebay Type Shop

9 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Some people on here have cried for the return of the rag and tag market, is this any different?

I have said we should have a flea market like Chesterfield does.

I think it is a good idea to have something different to the other type of shops.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bassett one said:

reading the star the shop will be a ebay type shop offering secondhand furniture ,war mementos and goods made by local makers,sounds a bit like a flea market type of shop ,plus a cafe and another firm may take another floor for retail ,to open before xmas,better than a empty shop ?

So, essentially, it's going to be another department store, good news. I am not sure about the second hand furniture aspect though, Ryan Vinted up the road always looks empty and there is the BHS on Arundel Gate. Do you know who is going to own it?

Is it a department store with one owner or a selection of separate units owned by different people all paying rent for their space,  somewhat similar to an antiques centre. We will have to wait and see!

On 15/10/2023 at 12:41, Bargepole23 said:

I think there's a misunderstanding that this is some kind of council-run market. 

Purely a commercial enterprise, just like Debenhams was.

Hopefully it can be like Afflecks Palace in Manchester, let's see.

if its like Afflecks then it will be good, but then again Manchester managed to get the storage container businesses right too and we all know what happened when Sheffield tried that

Sheffield really needs some upmarket stores. The department store has to offer the customer something extra these days. It needs premium decorations, moisturiser in the toilet sinks, a concierge desk, flowers adorning the walls, staff in fitted suits, cravats and ties, premium stock such as L'Occitane, Kurt Geiger, a Jo Malone sample kiosk. The dining experience must be premium, high quality food and also a fully licensed bar. It's time to make the department store a destination, where customers go for the experience. There has to be something special to keep customers coming back.