Debenhams To Be A Ebay Type Shop

5 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Sheffield really needs some upmarket stores. The department store has to offer the customer something extra these days. It needs premium decorations, moisturiser in the toilet sinks, a concierge desk, flowers adorning the walls, staff in fitted suits, cravats and ties, premium stock such as L'Occitane, Kurt Geiger, a Jo Malone sample kiosk. The dining experience must be premium, high quality food and also a fully licensed bar. It's time to make the department store a destination, where customers go for the experience. There has to be something special to keep customers coming back.

Sounds like Grace Brothers 😀

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Sheffield really needs some upmarket stores. The department store has to offer the customer something extra these days. It needs premium decorations, moisturiser in the toilet sinks, a concierge desk, flowers adorning the walls, staff in fitted suits, cravats and ties, premium stock such as L'Occitane, Kurt Geiger, a Jo Malone sample kiosk. The dining experience must be premium, high quality food and also a fully licensed bar. It's time to make the department store a destination, where customers go for the experience. There has to be something special to keep customers coming back.

There used to be shops just like you describe and for whatever reason they haven't survived. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

John lewis had some of that but they obviously decided it was no longer viable. If you want upmarket go to Harvey Nichols in Leeds/ Manchester or one of  Selfridges in Manchester.  I can't really see any of those stores working in Sheffield. Perhaps in Medowhall.  You need to accept shopping habits have changed.  Some people want the "experience". but lots of people just want to be in and out with no fuss.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zinger549 said:

John lewis had some of that but they obviously decided it was no longer viable. If you want upmarket go to Harvey Nichols in Leeds/ Manchester or one of  Selfridges in Manchester.  I can't really see any of those stores working in Sheffield. Perhaps in Medowhall.  You need to accept shopping habits have changed.  Some people want the "experience". but lots of people just want to be in and out with no fuss.

Supermarkets seem to agree with me. They loose a fair amount of profit on home deliveries and want to get people back in to stores. That's why in recent years, emphasis has been put on making it an experience, e.g. Market Street, kids eat free on holidays in our cafes, the florist opening in large Morrison's stores, Waitrose's complimentary coffee scheme. 

Sheffield is one of the largest cities in England and despite having some run down, poverty stricken areas, there is still a considerable amount of wealth in the Whirlow, Fulwood, Millhouses etc areas. 

Edited by Irene Swaine

45 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Supermarkets seem to agree with me. They loose a fair amount of profit on home deliveries and want to get people back in to stores. That's why in recent years, emphasis has been put on making it an experience, e.g. Market Street, kids eat free on holidays in our cafes, the florist opening in large Morrison's stores, Waitrose's complimentary coffee scheme. 

Good grief. You really are little miss current affairs aren't you.

Morrisons Market Street concept including florists has been in existence since the 1990s before internet shopping was even a common thing.  It was reestablished after a heavy celeb filled marketing campaign way back in 2007. 

As for Waitrose giving free coffee to loyalty members that started back in 2011.

You must be too young to remember 🙄

20 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Good grief. You really are little miss current affairs aren't you.

Morrisons Market Street concept including florists has been in existence since the 1990s before internet shopping was even a common thing.  It was reestablished after a heavy celeb filled marketing campaign way back in 2007. 

As for Waitrose giving free coffee to loyalty members that started back in 2011.

You must be too young to remember 🙄

I remember it all. Online shopping was around in 2007 and 2011. I also remember circa 2013 when Morrison's introduced the steam mist displays to the vegetables section and I also noticed for the first time in history this month, Morrison's has launched a TV advert solely advertising in store cafes. If that doesn't tell you that they are making in store shopping more of an experience, I feel sorry for your defendants.

4 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

I remember it all. Online shopping was around in 2007 and 2011. I also remember circa 2013 when Morrison's introduced the steam mist displays to the vegetables section and I also noticed for the first time in history this month, Morrison's has launched a TV advert solely advertising in store cafes. If that doesn't tell you that they are making in store shopping more of an experience, I feel sorry for your defendants.

Your very knowledgeable Irene.

I remember them mist displays, never caught on though..