Local Schools And 'Security Lockdowns'.

I hear some local schools are beginning to do "Security lockdown drills" in order to keep the kiddies safe.

Are schools in Sheffield and Rotherham so unsafe that this practice is needed? 

Or is this just the Nanny State in overdrive as usual,

Any schools near you starting to do this too?

I suppose it depends on what the threat is.

I know some states in America have these on a regular basis - which is unsurprising given the sheer amount of shootings that happen in American schools.

Given recent revelations about the state of some of our school buildings, built with this porous concrete, pupils might be safer out of schools than inside them.

In terms of 'nanny state' - I don't think so. I'd rather have school children safe than satisfy the anxiety of those on the right who think keeping people safe is the nanny state.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Teaching kids what to do in an emergency   ➡️Nanny state  :rolleyes:

So I assume you believe schools in Sheffield and rotherham are so dangerous that it's needed.

In that case, how many schools in Sheffield and Rotherham have had an incident so serious that this measure has been brought in?

Just the top 10 most recent incidents will do cheers 👍

I think the biggest question should be why is security needed more than say 20 -30 years ago?

Are schools not as safe as before, and why not?

Looks like this pampering and liberal  modern attitude towards kids ain't working. Kids now seem to have the upper hand as they know they can't be disciplined.

Say what you want about strict school headmasters getting the slipper out but it looks as though it worked doesn't it?

I can't even imagine what crap teachers put up with these days.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

So I assume you believe schools in Sheffield and rotherham are so dangerous that it's needed.

In that case, how many schools in Sheffield and Rotherham have had an incident so serious that this measure has been brought in?

Just the top 10 most recent incidents will do cheers 👍

Just like you wearing a seatbelt , how many times have you needed it ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I think the biggest question should be why is security needed more than say 20 -30 years ago?

Are schools not as safe as before, and why not?

They're just as flammable as they were 20-30 years ago.

10 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Looks like this pampering and liberal  modern attitude towards kids ain't working. Kids now seem to have the upper hand as they know they can't be disciplined.

Say what you want about strict school headmasters getting the slipper out but it looks as though it worked doesn't it?

I can't even imagine what crap teachers put up with these days.

How is keeping children safe anything to do with this "pampering and liberal  modern attitude" you seem to think exists?

Unless you're saying that you'd be quite happy to let kids burn in a school building as that'd be like the 'good old days'

45 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I hear some local schools are beginning to do "Security lockdown drills" in order to keep the kiddies safe.

Are schools in Sheffield and Rotherham so unsafe that this practice is needed? 

Or is this just the Nanny State in overdrive as usual,

Any schools near you starting to do this too?

I remember having fire safety drills at school, where we all had to line up in the playground (usually in winter, I recall).

None of the schools I attended caught fire, so was it the "Nanny State in overdrive"? No, I don't think so.

14 minutes ago, Mister M said:

They're just as flammable as they were 20-30 years ago.

How is keeping children safe anything to do with this "pampering and liberal  modern attitude" you seem to think exists?

Unless you're saying that you'd be quite happy to let kids burn in a school building as that'd be like the 'good old days'

What you on about?

I am talking about security at schools, lockdown drills, metal detectors for weapons.