Winter Weather 2023/2024

Back in the ‘50s I walked to school which was on the top of a hill and the snowdrifts were higher than me. Got home quicker though, slip sliding away.The school never closed.

The trouble with many motorists nowadays is that they can only drive in perfectly dry conditions. Lord help them if there’s a bit of rain, snow or fog!

echo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Not about the roads, they are statistically dangerous, relatively speaking.

Even more dangerous in……snow.

inthink you’ve answered your own question as to why the schools close

1 hour ago, Mkapaka said:

Even more dangerous in……snow.

inthink you’ve answered your own question as to why the schools close

I am just guessing here but I would have thought that the number of car accidents might go up in snow, but they are probably all pretty minor as hardly anyone would be driving at high speed in those conditions, and, because it is speed that kills ({\textstyle {\frac {1}{2}}mv^{2}} and all that) it may actually be that fewer people get killed on the roads when snow comes around.

>>inthink you’ve answered your own question as to why the schools close<<

Not really because the last time I looked there weren't cars driving around the school playground.....

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

And possibly cause a hell of a lot of damage - either to an expensive PSV and/or other things.

I can only say there is no way they'd have taken the buses off with snow like this back in the 70s or 80s, no way at all.

I can vividly remember seeing a SYPTE double decker slipping going up Manchester Rd (Lydgate) in conditions far worse, but he kept going and his passengers got home.