Winter Weather 2023/2024

22 minutes ago, Padders said:

That gave me a good giggle Roget. :hihi:

Are you one of those people who thinks people shouldn't go on holiday once a year on a plane, but would happyly go by helicopter from Longley to Meadowhall?

Just now, hackey lad said:

That brought Sheffield to a standstill .

Because most people - from what I could see through my front window, and a 15 minute walk up and down the A621, can't drive appropriately for the conditions.

• Like 2

My grandchildren laugh when I tell them that public transport still ran & where it didn't you were still expected to walk to school or work in  a minimum of 6 inches of snow.  Of course it was helped that SCC workers also turned up & gritted most of the roads & pavements. 

I:m guessing AMEY would rather pay them to stay at home these days or only grit round the Town Hall? 

2 hours ago, rogets said:

Are you one of those people who thinks people shouldn't go on holiday once a year on a plane, but would happyly go by helicopter from Longley to Meadowhall?

I got rid of the helicopter years ago owing to there being no landing pad at Meadowhall.

I've replaced it with a cheap EV car.

Very handy for short journeys, and it only cost me £47,900.

As for holidays, I used to visit the Carribean 3 times a year, staying in a luxury 5 star hotel, now I only go twice a year.

I'm trying to limit my Carbon Foot print. as we all should...

• Haha 2

On 09/02/2024 at 10:24, RollingJ said:

In a car, it is your choice - you have a lighter vehicle and providing you are a competent driver, may have more chance of correcting things. A bus is considerably heavier, may well have passengers on it, and is no way as controllable if things go wrong - would you like to injure/possibly kill people because 'you know best'?

All I am saying, is that buses used to keep going and get their passengers to their destinations. Now they bring them off at the drop of a  hat, comparatively speaking. But that is to be expected as the trend of society is "safety above all" (irrespective of the cost).

What links much of the world's reaction to Covid and buses being sent back to their garages when it snows ? That does.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...