Proper Sheffielders

A endangered species .

Its hit me today ,  Proper Sheffielders days are numbered.

I was in the new Moor market stood in the butchers queue.  The queue was around a dozen people long when I suddenly realized I was the only local born and bred person waiting to be served , Now you may say ,how did I know this and you are right to ask so here goes , 

I knew by listening , by watching , the language and accent’s being used , I knew it by dress , the robes , shell suits, and head wear, 

Nothing wrong with that you may say and of course you are right.

But the thing is the sudden realization that the Sheffield I have know for 80 years or so has gone ,

The old local chatter , humorous comments, stranger meeting stranger and conversing in the old Sheffield way , the.    ” a tha goin on love”     , or the “sorry old **** did I push in “ kind of stuff , in other words we  the propers    were all in the same boat , same mindset ,thought and  we acted in a unique way that only proper Sheffielders do or  did . 

So for the first time ever I no longer felt part of our old lovely Town ,  It’s as though it’s disappeared without me or others noticing.

This was brought even more home to me as I left the Market hall and a massive protest march was  passing the Market ,  

In the door way stood a little gathering of older people ,perhaps around eight or nine in all ,

I joined them and listened to their comments and I must admit those comments bordered on racism. 

This was due to the marchers being a mixed bunch , white black and brown , and as in the queue at the butcher shop , a mixed mode of dress and head covering .

Then I realized ,    These older propers were in the same boat as I had just  thought about,they were feeling they had lost , Lost their traditional ways , it’s gone , it’s made them bitter and racist .

In my life I have worked with all races of people , from Hungarians to West Indians and Irish , I have grown up with those people and they have become friends , they along with the Chinese are no longer noticed in our midst  Their kids and grand kids can thee and thow with the best of us , 

We and they are now as one proper Sheffielders 

But to day I felt a change , It’s not the same slow integration of folk , It’s not the same out look on life , The new  in commers have different agendas as todays marching so vividly showed , 

Life in our City has changed , How will that change effect our grand kids , Are they  the last of the Proper Sheffielders , I know that this will end up as racism, but it’s not it’s a observation,    A sudden awakening that things will never be the same again in our City .

Edited by cuttsie
  • Thanks 1

I’m not a native sheffielder, and neither are my parents or siblings, but we’ve been here since 1967, so we consider ourselves to be adopted sheffi elders and proud to be so

Sounds very much a YOU problem.

If there's some arbitrary horse crap as to what a "proper Sheffield" is supposed to be then good riddance as far as I'm concerned. Why should it even matter?

My god the ego of some people to think that only a certain section of society with a set definition can be deemed worthy of being defined as 'proper' even to the extreme of excluding vast numbers, who may have been living here for decades or even born here.  

The history and culture of Sheffield goes far beyond the stereotype image of Brian and Pat living in their two bed terrace. A short walk from very respective jobs in the steelworks and local supermarket.  It's fine to have some fond nostalgic look back but to feel excluded when society adjusts is just ridiculous.

The city has always been evolving. It's people have always been changing.  Why is there inevitably this type of statement and declaration coming out from certain types of bigoted dinosaurs who can't accept change. It was present right back during the 1900s Irish immigration, was present in the 40s to 60s with the increase in the black population and windrush generation, then whinging and grumbling  about increases in Pakistani and Indian population in the 70s and 80s, then  all the hatred and bigotry against  Eastern Europeans 'taking everyone's job' that's no one was doing and to today still whinging and grumbling about the increase of the far east and general student population - whom personally I find have been a lifesaver in getting investment in the city moving and creating some well needed income to the local economy.

Find it all really pathetic. Life changes. Things evolve. Nothing new about that. Get over it.

Absolutely no right whatsoever to be pulling judgement on some arbitrary test of what makes someone a proper Sheffielder. 

36 minutes ago, Lizzie b said:

I’m not a native sheffielder, and neither are my parents or siblings, but we’ve been here since 1967, so we consider ourselves to be adopted sheffi elders and proud to be so

So you should be. As a generation that's been here over over half a century - It's absurd for anyone to be thinking you are not deemed 'proper' part of the city. 

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

If there's some arbitrary horse crap as to what a "proper Sheffield" is supposed to be then good riddance as far as I'm concerned. Why should it even matter?

My god the ego of some people to think that only a certain section of society with a set definition can be deemed worthy of being defined as 'proper' even to the extreme of excluding vast numbers, who may have been living here for decades or even born here.  

The history and culture of Sheffield goes far beyond the stereotype image of Brian and Pat living in their two bed terrace. A short walk from very respective jobs in the steelworks and local supermarket.  It's fine to have some fond nostalgic look back but to feel excluded when society adjusts is just ridiculous.

The city has always been evolving. It's people have always been changing.  Why is there inevitably this type of statement and declaration coming out from certain types of bigoted dinosaurs who can't accept change. It was present right back during the 1900s Irish immigration, was present in the 40s to 60s with the increase in the black population and windrush generation, then whinging and grumbling  about increases in Pakistani and Indian population in the 70s and 80s, then  all the hatred and bigotry against  Eastern Europeans 'taking everyone's job' that's no one was doing and to today still winged in grumbling about the increase of the far east and general student population - whom personally I find it being a lifesaver in getting investment in the city moving and creating some well needed income to the local economy.

Find it all really pathetic. Life changes. Things evolve. Nothing new about that. Get over it.

Absolutely no right whatsoever to be pulling judgement on some arbitrary test of what makes someone a proper Sheffielder. 

You could have said that A lot nicer.

• Like 2

I am the child of a mother who came here to England to train as a nurse, who answered the call by the British Government, to staff the newly created NHS. She met and married my father in the 1950’s, I am so proud that I too work for the NHS and that my siblings, worked for the railways and in banking, we consider ourselves to be proper Sheffielders and proud of it too

Just now, The_DADDY said:

You could have said that A lot nicer.

As far as I'm concerned it is as nice as it needs to be.  

It's a counter arguement in the strongest nature because I found the original post to contain some quite insulting comments.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cressida said:

They are only minorities and don't gather every day,  just avoid them there will probably people who video them and their antics,  empty vessels etc.

Even those in the butchers queue with Cuttsie ? 

11 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

The city has always been evolving. It's people have always been changing.  Why is there inevitably this type of statement and declaration coming out from certain types of bigoted dinosaurs who can't accept change. It was present right back during the 1900s Irish immigration, was present in the 40s to 60s with the increase in the black population and windrush generation, then whinging and grumbling  about increases in Pakistani and Indian population in the 70s and 80s, then  all the hatred and bigotry against  Eastern Europeans 'taking everyone's job' that's no one was doing and to today still winged in grumbling about the increase of the far east and general student population - whom personally I find it being a lifesaver in getting investment in the city moving and creating some well needed income to the local economy.

So you should be. As a generation that's being here over over half a century - It's absurd for anyone to be thinking you are not deemed 'proper' part of the city. 

You missed out calling Cuttsie a racist  :rolleyes:

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It's a counter arguement in the strongest nature because I found the original post to contain some quite insulting comments.  

My bold

You do know how old the op is don't you?

Show some respect. 

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

11 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

So you should be. As a generation that's being here over over half a century - It's absurd for anyone to be thinking you are not deemed 'proper' part of the city. 

Thanks ECCOnoob, we all have the Sheffield accent and so do our children, love it❤️❤️❤️