Proper Sheffielders

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

You missed out calling Cuttsie a racist  :rolleyes:

I don’t think that Cuttsie is racist. I think that his post is rose tinted though.

I grew up walking past pubs with “No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish” notices on the door. There were skinheads on the streets and copies of The Flag in phone boxes.

All gone now. And the city, despite its problems, is much better for that.

Edited by Prettytom
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I don’t think that Cuttsie is racist. I think that his post is rose tinted though.

I grew up walking past pubs with “No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish” notices on the door. Skinheads on the streets and copies of The Flag in phone boxes.

I agree with you .

1 hour ago, Prettytom said:

I grew up walking past pubs with “No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish” notices on the door. There were skinheads on the streets and copies of The Flag in phone boxes.

Are you sure about that? The worst I ever saw on a pub door in Sheffield was “No Travellers”.

I did see “No Women” on a pub door in Manchester but that was only for the vault. That was Auntie’s Bar on Oxford Road where the Mancunian Way crossed. I think it got pulled down at the end of the 60s.

8 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Where was that?

I recall there being a sign like this at a hotel or something like that from years ago, not in Sheffield though.

No skinheads on streets now, just feckless youths who want to stab and mug you. Can't remember skinheads going around stabbing folk.

48 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Where was that?

I recall there being a sign like this at a hotel or something like that from years ago, not in Sheffield though.

No skinheads on streets now, just feckless youths who want to stab and mug you. Can't remember skinheads going around stabbing folk.

I’ve never seen that phrase attributed to pubs before. One can’t read a newspaper article or watch a TV programme about the Windrush Generation without it quoted as being pinned to the doors of London rooming houses in the 50s. 

I reckon people have read it and heard it so often that they’ve become convinced that they actually saw it.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/oct/21/no-irish-no-blacks-no-dogs-no-proof

52 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Where was that?

Bring Back Bald Bonces Bashing Blacks, Bellows Bundy.

9 hours ago, Prettytom said:

I know and have experienced all the above , 

The thing that some on this thread do not seem to realize is the sudden feeling that our City as we know it it has now changed for ever , The community spirit that was. We are all in it together has now gone.

As said in my observation yesterday , I am now some times feeling a stranger in my own City .

• Like 1