Stack Sheffield

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

London, Manchester and Newcastle have had the government investment that means there is enough footfall to support most Businesses. When major shops on Fargate are closing down, replacing them with a shipping container is akin to closing the local library and sticking a mobile one outside it  instead.

"Krynkl" (why do they all have such weird names?) can't have been that popular, as I have never heard of it

Maybe that's more a reflection on you, than the popularity of Krynkl.

Houses a really great restaurant, Joro. You heard of that?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

London, Manchester and Newcastle have had the government investment that means there is enough footfall to support most Businesses. When major shops on Fargate are closing down, replacing them with a shipping container is akin to closing the local library and sticking a mobile one outside it  instead.

"Krynkl" (why do they all have such weird names?) can't have been that popular, as I have never heard of it. 

Shipping containers are for small independent businesses like you get on Etsy.  They also have street food/drinks.  People like them as you can get something different.  Hopefully if this new place is well run it should do well, what with all the students and such.

Krynkl is in Kelham Islands and has 10 retailers/businesses in it.  looks like it's been open for a few years (2017?) so seems to be doing ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prince al said:

Heard the fella on radio Sheffield this morning promoting this. When will we ever learn?

So you'd rather they not bother investing in the city and building their PRIVATE development?

Waaa waaa waaa why does Manchester and Leeds always get things. Why are we always behind elsewhere.  

4 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

Krynkl is in Kelham Islands and has 10 retailers/businesses in it.  looks like it's been open for a few years (2017?) so seems to be doing ok.

Yep - actually a bit before that.  Operating for over 6+ years and still occupied fine. 

But hey, who are we to demonstrate facts. Irene is a business genius - she has diplomas you know.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

But hey, who are we to demonstrate facts. Irene is a business genius - she has diplomas you know.   

Not forgetting the invisible sandwich business that earns 50k profit without any trace of certification or tax returns....

• Like 1

On 22/10/2023 at 09:02, Resident said:

You're right. I'd misplaced the space in my head. 

Either way looking at the overhead map I don't see how they're going to put anything in that space due to fire regs.  Large population venues like the O2 have to have a substantial fire exit route to avoid funnelling and slowing the evacuation of the building which is exactly what that open space provides. 

Fill it with containers and no more space. 

Plus the O2 is currently closed to to the concrete investigations. I doubt the extra weight is going to help. 

https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=neighbourComments&keyVal=S201LMNYGHC00

21 hours ago, AndrewC said:

For the cynics amongst you, please remember:

Sheffield Council (Fargate): no idea what they were doing, ran in to unexpected problems, massively delayed, terrible reputation before the place even opened, shut before it then ever got a chance to get going.

it was more or less the brainchild of one councillor.

he was told, by all of the council employees (project managers, highways engineers, etc.) that there just wasn't time to do it - it needed to be removed in time to start the Fargate re-development. 

he insisted.

they got proved right.

Edited by ads36
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ads36 said:

he was told, by all of the council employees (project managers, highways engineers, etc.) that there just wasn't time to do it - it needed to be removed in time to start the Fargate re-development. 

he insisted.

they got proved right.

Councillors have brains? 🤣

26 minutes ago, ads36 said:

he insisted.

they got proved right.

Has this councillor recently packed in ?

15 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Has this councillor recently packed in ?

yes.

i honestly think he's aright: he tried to push forward, not pull things back, but he didn't seem to have much ability to filter good ideas from bad, and/or listen to advice.