Chandler From Friends Passed Away

Al Bundy

6 hours ago, cressida said:

R.I.P.   He always seemed the most ordinary of the actors but the most likely to have problems in his own life,  sad.

He was ripped on drugs and alcohol for several of the friends seasons.

He said he didn't want to watch Friends episodes, as he would be able to tell what combination of narcotics he was abusing at the time.

A rather nice piece here from Helen Lewis:  Matthew Perry, the best Friend I never knew

Chandler was so clearly my favorite Friend that there was no need for a contest. Joey was handsome, Ross was a dork, but Chandler was normal—or rather, I realize now, weird in the same ways I was. He was sarcastic, insecure, anxious. He was the patron saint of self-sabotagers: “What if I never find somebody? Or even worse, what if I’ve already found her and I dumped her because she pronounces it ‘supposeably’?” So many of Chandler’s best jokes—remember his horror at Joey and their matching bracelets “from the Liberace house of crap”?—came from pushing away the threat of genuine emotions. He was the Friend who found it hardest to have friends, someone who had to stop themselves firing out the kind of jokes designed to keep other people at bay.

I never 'got' Friends when it first came out, but later I did discover some of it's genius and, for me, mostly it was Chandler and Joey's relationship because it reminded me of how mine and my brother's relationship used to be.

The episode where they get the La-Z-boy recliners; the quiz where they win Monica's apartment and when Joey returns to the apartment and Chandler is finally free of Eddie...

Some of the funniest comedy moments ever for me.