Ice Hockey Player Dies After Freak Accident At Arena

Pyrotequila

https://news.sky.com/story/ice-hockey-player-adam-johnson-dies-in-freak-accident-after-neck-slashed-by-skate-in-sheffield-12995563

A professional ice hockey player has died in a "freak accident" after he was slashed in the neck during a game.

Nottingham Panthers has confirmed Adam Johnson, 29, died during the team's derby clash against Sheffield Steelers.

The game at Sheffield Arena was abandoned shortly after the incident.

You can imagine that the guy whose skate did it must be utterly devastated!

22 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

A  tragic accident by the sound of it.

Surely this must be a wake up call to the sport’s authorities to ensure safety clothing covers the players’ neck as well.

echo.

My grandchildren  ( ages  12 & 15 )  were there at the match and they said it was horrific.  My grandson ( the 12 year old ) is training to become an ice hockey player at Sheffield and is more aware of the dangers of the game so although he was shocked by it he wasn't as upset as my 15 year old granddaughter.   I agree the players should have something to protect their necks  .....  maybe something will be done now.   It's a pity it usually takes a tragedy to alter things.     R.I.P  Adam.

9 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

The video of it is a bit grim.

It is.

Unfortunately it's also being made a million times worse by every wannabe policeman, conspiracy theorist, internet nut job, tragedy fetish ghouls and general busybodies all over Twitter screaming murder, analysing the footage, demanding to know what the police are doing, giving their predictions and assessment on whether the act was deliberate, demanding the other player be jail sentenced and even giving death threats to the other player. 

All of which is making the tragic situation worse and prolonging the agony for those directly affected on both sides dealing with it.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It is.

Unfortunately it's also being made a million times worse by every wannabe policeman, conspiracy theorist, internet nut job, tragedy fetish ghouls and general busybodies all over Twitter screaming murder, analysing the footage, demanding to know what the police are doing, giving their predictions and assessment on whether the act was deliberate, demanding the other player be jail sentenced and even giving death threats to the other player. 

All of which is making the tragic situation worse and prolonging the agony for those directly affected on both sides dealing with it.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

A man now arrested on suspicion of manslaughter. Doesn't take a genius to work out who it might be. 

I was just going to post this. 

There were a few quiet rumours at the time that the kick looked intentional, maybe not aiming for the neck but still intentional. 

The player in question is known for dirty play, allegedly the most penalised player in the league...