Palm Springs Aids Memorial Design Causes Uproar For Looking Like…

19 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

Didn’t you @ me in a post on the Yom Kippur war earlier?  
Snipped 

Yes I did but you bottled it and wouldn't watch the link. If it makes a difference some Israelis get beat up in it? 

Edited by The_DADDY

12 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Screenshot-20231029-200150.jpg

The proposed design for an AIDS memorial sculpture in Palm Springs, California, is causing an uproar.

The memorial, set to be located in Downtown Park, is being constructed to honour those who have lost their lives to AIDS.

Meant To Represent Connection, Reflection, and Hope

The design is meant to represent the diverse community affected by AIDS, as well as connection, reflection, and hope. 

According to the artist, Phillip K. Smith III, “The circular, torus shape inspires a connected, round, corner-less form that provides space for the community and the individual across its surface.

Smooth continued, “The opening at the centre is at eye level and allows a view through – a connection, a sense of hope, a view beyond what is directly in front of you.”

https://www.starobserver.com.au/news/palm-springs-aids-memorial-design-causes-uproar-for-looking-like/226292

I'm sure the artist worked his arse off designing the sculpture but sadly It appears the  its hit a bum note amongst some...

According to the artist, Phillip K. Smith III, “The circular, torus shape inspires a connected, round, corner-less form that provides space for the community and the individual across its surface.

smooth continued, “The opening at the centre is at eye level and allows a view through – a connection, a sense of hope, a view beyond what is directly in front of you.”

The only obvious take is that the artist Mr Smith is completely and utterly full of ****e,  and like most artists,  total oblivious to the real world, due to having their heads so far up their own backsides.

Edited by Al Bundy
  • Like 1

Modern art is meant to do three things.

Allow the the creator to inspire the viewer with his own way of interpreting the world through their eyes.

Make it provocative and controversial to give it publicity.

And to make a buck out of gullible buyers. :)

It can be produced quickly and inexpensively.from cheap materials.

Governments  have  museum basements and warehouses full of the stuff.

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, cressida said:

Very discerning post,  I immediately thought of Henry Moore.

Toronto bought a lot of them to grace the City hall square. They kept one, and hauled off the rest to god know where!

9650-rg10_it0816_7-good.jpg

Unless you'd been to Art School, you could never appreciate such a "dramatic and emotional statement of  liberation of communication in art".

The hoi polloi luddites just thought it was a waste of money and space.

But what do they know?  :)

2 hours ago, trastrick said:

Toronto bought a lot of them to grace the City hall square. They kept one, and hauled off the rest to god know where!

9650-rg10_it0816_7-good.jpg

Unless you'd been to Art School, you could never appreciate such a "dramatic and emotional statement of  liberation of communication in art".

The hoi polloi luddites just thought it was a waste of money and space.

But what do they know?  :)

They know nothing,  I've still got two small ones I got from the Poundshop,   the one on the left is pregnant,  and the other one is the culprit.

• Like 1