Hs2 Needed, Poor Railways!

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

As @Annie Bynnolhas pointed out above 70% are owned/part owned by other countries 'nationalised' rail networks, but they still fail miserably.

If you read carefully,  for a change,  I wasn't talking about who  OWNS  them but about who  RUNS  them.

9 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

If you read carefully,  for a change,  I wasn't talking about who  OWNS  them but about who  RUNS  them.

I read what you said. OK - different question, but related: if they are owned by the State railway operators of supposedly better-run operations, why have said owners not recruited suitable management to run their businesses?

25 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I read what you said. OK - different question, but related: if they are owned by the State railway operators of supposedly better-run operations, why have said owners not recruited suitable management to run their businesses?

Different but related Ok.  Your argument says then,  that you will not find any bad management anywhere in the world,  despite who the owners are,  of any given company.

You would expect,  as I would,   that any company owners would choose the very best managers they could find but despite that,   bad management abounds in the real world,  as our own lot have proved.

5 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Different but related Ok.  Your argument says then,  that you will not find any bad management anywhere in the world,  despite who the owners are,  of any given company.

You would expect,  as I would,   that any company owners would choose the very best managers they could find but despite that,   bad management abounds in the real world,  as our own lot have proved.

But others have claimed (not you, I don't think), that the French/German/Dutch et al rail networks are better than ours - in which case, why don't these foreign owners get those who supposedly run these 'better' systems to run their UK operations?

9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

But others have claimed (not you, I don't think), that the French/German/Dutch et al rail networks are better than ours - in which case, why don't these foreign owners get those who supposedly run these 'better' systems to run their UK operations?

That would have made sense to me too but no explaining what goes on in the boardrooms.

I don't know how efficient foreign railways are but I do know that their infrastructure is up to date.

The Japanese most definitely have highly efficient railways which always run on time so they're worth looking at.

The other thing I do know is that our European neighbours put much larger subsidies into their railways than we do so our railways,  like everything else,  are under resourced.

27 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

That would have made sense to me too but no explaining what goes on in the boardrooms.

I don't know how efficient foreign railways are but I do know that their infrastructure is up to date.

The Japanese most definitely have highly efficient railways which always run on time so they're worth looking at.

The other thing I do know is that our European neighbours put much larger subsidies into their railways than we do so our railways,  like everything else,  are under resourced.

Japanese culture is entirely different to European - as is Chinese, so comparisons need to be mindful of this.

Most, but not all, European, rail networks are under state control, most, but not all, European nations have higher taxes which the governments, like ours, decides where they are spent.

13 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Japanese culture is entirely different to European - as is Chinese, so comparisons need to be mindful of this.

Most, but not all, European, rail networks are under state control, most, but not all, European nations have higher taxes which the governments, like ours, decides where they are spent.

Silly argument.  Of course cultures are different and who would expect otherwise.

Culture has no bearing on whether trains are reliable efficient and running to schedule.

A late train is a late train in any country,  a missing train is a missing train in any country and a train which turns up at the time stated is a reliable train in any country.

Fins someone else if you want to ague like a child.

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Silly argument.  Of course cultures are different and who would expect otherwise.

Culture has no bearing on whether trains are reliable efficient and running to schedule.

A late train is a late train in any country,  a missing train is a missing train in any country and a train which turns up at the time stated is a reliable train in any country.

Fins someone else if you want to ague like a child.

I would tend to argue with your  second line, but trying to would be pointless, as you clearly don't want to see how a nations overall culture affects how they function.

I have zero desire to continue this discussion - you clearly can't, or won't, see the bigger picture.

Goodbye.