The Cable Street Battle .

Oct 1936, 

Oswald Mosley and his fascist mobs marched on Cable Street in the East end of London .

There objective then as now nearly 90 years later was to get rid of a race that has lived piece fully in OUR Country for a thousand years '

The Jews .

The police were sent in to protect those marchers against the East enders ,   trade unionists ,  and communists who were out to protect their neighbours and work mates against the fascists who considered them selves to be speaking for the Country's SILENT  majority ,

It soon became clear the the marching  mob had got it wrong and that ORDINARY citizens of our land do not agree with them .

A partition in the East end got over 100,000  people who signed it against the march being allowed.

It is said that up to 300;000 people counter marched against Mosley and his gang of anti Semantic supporters .

The home sec allowed the fascists to march .

At the same time in EuropeJews we being rounded up by so called   loving populations in various Country's who although invaded by the Nazi's helped them in the final solution .

Never again is the cry that went up after the war ended .......

History is a strange teacher .

11 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

I think I'd be more worried about the Islamists rather than some bloke who organised a march 87 years ago.

It looks very similar to me . There was a very good TV play about the sage of Cable Street not so long ago perhaps some one can bring up the info on how to watch the programme .

16 hours ago, cuttsie said:

It looks very similar to me . There was a very good TV play about the sage of Cable Street not so long ago perhaps some one can bring up the info on how to watch the programme .

I was there a few weeks ago. My daughter lives round the corner.

You can get a lovely lemon and ginger tea from the cafe by Shadwell Tube station.

5 hours ago, Prettytom said:

I was there a few weeks ago. My daughter lives round the corner.

You can get a lovely lemon and ginger tea from the cafe by Shadwell Tube station.

Is the mural still up? I had a few good cracks at the fascists when I lived in London but although we always massively outnumbered them there were never quite enough of us to break through the police lines and give them a good kicking. Still did the job though.

6 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Is the mural still up? I had a few good cracks at the fascists when I lived in London but although we always massively outnumbered them there were never quite enough of us to break through the police lines and give them a good kicking. Still did the job though.

It is indeed.

The area is pretty gentrified now. Lots of places to knit your own yoghurt.

On 30/10/2023 at 19:32, cuttsie said:

It was a 4 parter called Ridley Road, unfortunately no longer on iPlayer, or anywhere else free as far as I can tell.
See also Wiki about The 62 Group

Oswald Moseley also led protests in Leeds where many Jewish people had settled in the previous century after being forced to leave  countries in Eastern Europe such as Russia, Poland and Ukraine.

To a lesser degree many experienced Antisemitism in Leeds that's why some moved to Israel when they were offered the opportunity to do so by the British.

https://secretlibraryleeds.net/2019/06/14/oswald-mosley-and-leeds-the-battle-of-holbeck-moor-27th-september-1936/

Edited by janie48
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, peak4 said:

It was a 4 parter called Ridley Road, unfortunately no longer on iPlayer, or anywhere else free as far as I can tell.
See also Wiki about The 62 Group

thank you

11 hours ago, janie48 said:

Oswald Moseley also led protests in Leeds where many Jewish people had settled in the previous century after being forced to leave  countries in Eastern Europe such as Russia, Poland and Ukraine.

To a lesser degree many experienced Antisemitism in Leeds that's why some moved to Israel when they were offered the opportunity to do so by the British.

https://secretlibraryleeds.net/2019/06/14/oswald-mosley-and-leeds-the-battle-of-holbeck-moor-27th-september-1936/

Thanks for that , I will look that up . The story of the Jews is fascinating and on going , especially as we speak .

• Like 1