Assisted Dying

Tomorrow the Isle of Man Parliament will vote to pass a law helping  people who have a terminal illness or are have an incurable illness to die .

This could lead to the same thing being brought in on  the main land UK ,

Some folk have had to go 500 miles away to  Switzerland  so as to be  able to follow their wishes and die with dignity , 

Most would have felt more happy if they could have passed away surrounded by loved ones in their own home or hospital .

So what do forumers think , ???????????

I hope it passes into law.

If you let a dog suffer you could be prosecuted.

Why is it different for people? It's my life, if I'm in constant pain from a terminal illness I'll take my own life and to hell with the law. There's no way I'd let my kids see me dying in pain. That's the height of cruelty in my opinion.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I hope it passes into law.

If you let a dog suffer you could be prosecuted.

Why is it different for people? It's my life, if I'm in constant pain from a terminal illness I'll take my own life and to hell with the law. There's no way I'd let my kids see me dying in pain. That's the height of cruelty in my opinion.

What if you couldn't do it yourself ?

28 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Tomorrow the Isle of Man Parliament will vote to pass a law helping  people who have a terminal illness or are have an incurable illness to die .

Some folk have had to go 500 miles away to  Switzerland  so as to be  able to follow their wishes and die with dignity , 

Most would have felt more happy if they could have passed away surrounded by loved ones in their own home or hospital .

That change in the law has been badly needed for a very long time so I do hope that it gets some serious thought here and is eventually passed.

Obviously,  safeguards need to be as tight as possible but you should not be prevented from doing something that you are encouraged to do for your dog or cat when they are suffering. 

Quicker the better.

28 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Very good question and one I've pondered over myself.

I believe people should have autonomy over their own lives, especially if in pain or with a terminal illness, but of course there have to be safeguards. 

I think people should draw up a living will with this request in it whilst compos mentis so that doctors know.

I would certainly be 'do not resuscitate' in specified circumstances which I think is allowed.

How it's dealt with if incapable of doing it oneself is the big question, but I don't think I could put that burden on a family member, it has to be up to the doctors to decide, and to be honest I think they already do.

My fear is that some people would then be expected to die rather than being an inconvenience / drag on their family.

• Like 2

I’ll go against the trend on here and say that I don’t agree with it.

I can visualise avaricious relatives persuading an elderly person who isn’t in good health that they are a burden and it’s better to end it all prematurely, particularly if they are having to be cared for and the cost is diminishing the inheritance sum.

Currently money and materialism are the Western religions.

There’s more to life than that.

echo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I am very much in favour of assisted dying.

If my health ever starts failing I want out, and the state telling me I cannot do so is obscene.

• Like 1