Assisted Dying

1 hour ago, echo beach said:

I’ll go against the trend on here and say that I don’t agree with it.

I can visualise avaricious relatives persuading an elderly person who isn’t in good health that they are a burden and it’s better to end it all prematurely, particularly if they are having to be cared for and the cost is diminishing the inheritance sum.

Currently money and materialism are the Western religions.

There’s more to life than that.

echo.

Simple solution . get rid of it , have a good time , and when its all gone you soon realise who your favourite kids or relative is . 

• Like 1

Having seen my dad suffer with Alzhimer's/dementia I wouldn't want to see it again. Going to a care home and seeing someone just sat in a chair. They can't speak, they don't recognise you and they can't walk very far without assistance.  If you knew how you would end up and could go peacefully without the suffering.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

Having seen my dad suffer with Alzhimer's/dementia I wouldn't want to see it again. Going to a care home and seeing someone just sat in a chair. They can't speak, they don't recognise you and they can't walk very far without assistance.  If you knew how you would end up and could go peacefully without the suffering.

Evil affliction. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

I've never really understood assisted dying

Why don't they just take a massive overdose? 

Why do they need permission from the government to go to a place to kill themselves 

Because there are countless conditions which leave you bedridden, at which point it's too late to go to the shops and buy enough medicines to overdose, or even to get up and go to the medicine cabinet in their own house.

That, coupled with the fact that many over the counter medicines are NOT a pleasant way to die and will leave you in a vomity, bloody, excrementy mess for your loved ones to find.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RootsBooster said:

Because there are countless conditions which leave you bedridden, at which point it's too late to go to the shops and buy enough medicines to overdose, or even to get up and go to the medicine cabinet in their own house.

That, coupled with the fact that many over the counter medicines are NOT a pleasant way to die and will leave you in a vomity, bloody, excrementy mess for your loved ones to find.

I agree not a pleasant way to die if you start to vomit after taking an overdose. 

8 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

Very sad to hear Z.

My Mum's Dementia has had a many sad effects on me. My Mum and Dad died not far apart, my Dad was still sharp right up to the end, but my Mum hadn't been so for years, so long that I had to consciously think what she used to be like. Thus, whenever I feel sad I went from two parents to no parents in 15 months, it's my Dad I think of more than my Mum, which makes me feel very guilty.

Dementia really is a terrible thing, I really do not ever want to end up like that, for me or my family, and the fact the government would effectively be forcing me to go through it, is totally unacceptable.

As it happens my parents didn't agree with assisted dying, but my Mother In Law (who also had Dementia) very much did, and my wife and I knew that but had to watch her going downhill for years. It was incredibly sad.

Edited by Chekhov

8 hours ago, Zinger549 said:

Both of my parents had dementia to varying degrees in their last few years; with Mum I would say it was Alzheimer’s disease. Although living in her own world she appeared content for the majority of her life as did Dad.

I’ve also visited my father in law and best friend shortly before they died of cancer. The former was given an injection to wake him up and both, although bed bound were lucid and able to have conversations. With the drugs now available none of those folks were in agony.

I do think, however, that doctors do sometimes unofficially assist people to die using medication. It’s sometimes the family who feel they are suffering most.

Not in a million years would I have sanctioned the early demise of any of my family or friends.

Life is precious, right to the end.

echo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, echo beach said:

Life is precious, right to the end.

For you, not everyone thinks like you do, I certainly do not, and neither did my Mother In Law. If she knew she was going to end up like she did I am certain she'd have topped herself years before.

On that subject I was a bit depressed to hear on the radio that the I of M proposed legislation only applies for proven terminal illnesses. If I had an illness or developed a disability which in my opinion severely affected my quality of life I would want out, regardless of if it was "terminal" or not, I find life hard enough as it is (see Modern Life is Rubbish ! )......

We are supposed to live in a free country, how come we don't have the biggest freedom of all, the freedom to decide when we've had enough ?

Edited by Chekhov