Assisted Dying

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

In the case of my Mother In Law she was a proud woman, there is no way she'd have countenanced people having to feed and dress her and wash her, plus having to wear pads, to say nothing of being locked in etc etc. To see her like that would make me feel like crying. It really did remind me that QUALITY of life is what's important, not LENGTH of life.

Then heaven help those who are unfortunately born with any form of handicap!

It’s the slippery slope.

echo.

1 hour ago, echo beach said:

It’s the slippery slope.

I suspect someone born with a handicap would probably find it easier to cope with, but the point is I am not even implying that others with handicaps or poor health should want to end it all. I am simply talking about myself.

Why is it a slippery slope anyway ?

To me it's about personal freedom and personal responsibility.

17 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

I've never really understood assisted dying

Why don't they just take a massive overdose? 

Why do they need permission from the government to go to a place to kill themselves 

None of the drugs obtainable legally in the UK are suitable for reliable euthanasia- in overdose they tend to leave you alive while destroying liver or kidney function.

Barbiturates are viable, but, made illegal, in large part because so many people used them successfully for suicide. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, echo beach said:

It’s the slippery slope.

echo.

True up to a point, but life is what you make it and some seriously  handicapped people enjoy life as much as anyone else. I know they fear being 'put to sleep' as a matter of course if euthanasia becomes the norm.

And don't forget 99% of us will become handicapped in some way, if we live long enough, as the body deteriorates. 

Edited by Anna B