Red Arrows : Latest Patronising 'Me Too' Story

Red Arrows: Predatory behaviour widespread and normalised - RAF

An investigation into a toxic culture in the RAF's Red Arrows display team has found predatory behaviour towards women was "widespread and normalised".

Examples included unwanted physical contact, sexual texts, invitations to engage in sexual activity, and women being seen as "property".

A "bystander culture" meant such behaviour went unchallenged, it found.

Chief of the air staff, Sir Richard Knighton, said he was appalled by the findings and "unreservedly" apologised.

Robert Courts, chairman of the Defence Committee, said the inquiry findings showed there were "serious cultural problems running deep within the unit". He said: "It is particularly concerning that the investigators warn that the squadron was not a safe environment for females, concluding that it was 'highly likely' that women would be subject to illegal sexual harassment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67287479

This story surprised me, not because it was more exaggerated over sensitive Me Too stuff coming out, but because it was, apparently, female members of the forces complaining.

You'd have thought they'd have enough about them to tell a bloke, any bloke, who gave them "unwanted physical contact" where to get off. Up to and including giving them a well deserved slap.

Very disappointing, it paints all women as being weak defenceless creatures who need protecting. Not what a real feminist would want to hear, surely ?

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

An investigation into a toxic culture in the RAF's Red Arrows display team has found predatory behaviour towards women was "widespread and normalised".

Examples included unwanted physical contact, sexual texts, invitations to engage in sexual activity, and women being seen as "property".

Chief of the air staff, Sir Richard Knighton, said he was appalled by the findings and "unreservedly" apologised.

Robert Courts, chairman of the Defence Committee, said the inquiry findings showed there were "serious cultural problems running deep within the unit". He said: "It is particularly concerning that the investigators warn that the squadron was not a safe environment for females, concluding that it was 'highly likely' that women would be subject to illegal sexual harassment.

This story surprised me, not because it was more exaggerated over sensitive Me Too stuff coming out, but because it was, apparently, female members of the forces complaining.

You'd have thought they'd have enough about them to tell a bloke, any bloke, who gave them "unwanted physical contact" where to get off. Up to and including giving them a well deserved slap.

Very disappointing, it paints all women as being weak defenceless creatures who need protecting. Not what a real feminist would want to hear, surely ?

I read the article and I didn't conclude that the women targeted were "weak and defenceless creatures", but that the men who displayed such behaviour were real arse holes.

The probability is that there are more men than women in the squadron, and more than likely felt intimidated by the number of men engaging in this behaviour. 

There have been numerous examples of harassment and bullying in our armed services, some of which have led to real mental distress and suicides. Let's not start victim blaming - it's just ugly. 

Edited by Mister M
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Excellent!  Problem solved!  Just tell the blokes to stop.  Blimey.  You know what, I don't think anyone's thought of that before, let alone tried it, especially in a military-adjacent environment where such behaviour is endemic.  Perhaps someone should suggest that as a solution for other examples of bullying too.  Top job, Checkers! Shiny gold participation trophy for you: 🏆

43 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Excellent!  Problem solved!  Just tell the blokes to stop.  Blimey.  You know what, I don't think anyone's thought of that before, let alone tried it, especially in a military-adjacent environment where such behaviour is endemic.  Perhaps someone should suggest that as a solution for other examples of bullying too.  Top job, Checkers! Shiny gold participation trophy for you: 🏆

He has also solved domestic violence at a stroke!

What an absolute genius!! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Absolute Cobblers

I think you're trolling

9 hours ago, Mister M said:

I read the article and I didn't conclude that the women targeted were "weak and defenceless creatures", but that the men who displayed such behaviour were real arse holes.

The probability is that there are more men than women in the squadron, and more than likely felt intimidated by the number of men engaging in this behaviour. 

There have been numerous examples of harassment and bullying in our armed services, some of which have led to real mental distress and suicides. Let's not start victim blaming - it's just ugly. 

This toxic behaviour in the military cannot be allowed to stand.

Women should be protected from such harassment, and they are entitled to a safe, secure and supportive workplace as they go about the business of killing the Nation's enemies.

They also need training to assure that if they fall into the hands of the enemy they can withstand the hardships of being taken prisoner by such as radical Islamist terrorists, who may attempt to bully, or otherwise try to intimidate them especially if they are LGTB.

We need a National Enquiry into the root causes of this behaviour. And some assurance that toxic masculinity is identified and rooted out at the recruitment level.

And recruitment and promotion should focus on getting more women, minorities, and LGTB into the highest levels of the Military Command.

After all, the last thing we all want in the Military, is a "hostile" work environment!

:)

Edited by trastrick
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

This toxic behaviour in the military cannot be allowed to stand.

Women should be protected from such harassment, and they are entitled to a safe, secure and supportive workplace as they go about the business of killing the Nation's enemies.

They also need training to assure that if they fall into the hands of the enemy they can withstand the hardships of being taken prisoner by such as radical Islamist terrorists, who may attempt to bully, or otherwise try to intimidate them especially if they are LGTB.

We need a National Enquiry into the root causes of this behaviour. And some assurance that toxic masculinity is identified and rooted out at the recruitment level.

And recruitment and promotion should focus on getting more women, minorities, and LGTB into the highest levels of the Military Command.

After all, the last thing we all want in the Military, is a "hostile" work environment!

:)

The women who complained about their colleagues behaviour sound fine to me. It's the immature boys getting their nobs out and waving them that are obviously unsuited to being around others.

Obligatory smiley inserted regardless of the gravity of the subject matter 🤓

• Like 2