Names .

Why do women change their name on marriage ??????.

This morning I have been looking at the births , marriages and death column in our so called Sheffield newspaper .

I suddenly realised I know or knew one lass who has just passed away . I only realised this by other info given in the notice .

I then came to think , well why , Why change ones name at all , its confusing , your school friends are all remembered by a given name not one they change to just because they marry a man .     or woman these days .

Just now, cressida said:

I could have changed mine back after my divorce but wanted to have the same name as my children,  could get complicated at school.

It does make sense and saves a lot of complications and that's obviously why it's still done.

A friend of mine who divorced her husband because of domestic violence, waited until all her four children had left school before reverting back to her own family name. At the same time, two of the children decided also to change their names and two retained their father's family name.

My own child bears the maternal family name. There have been no complications with that.

29 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Why do women change their name on marriage ??????.

This morning I have been looking at the births , marriages and death column in our so called Sheffield newspaper .

I suddenly realised I know or knew one lass who has just passed away . I only realised this by other info given in the notice .

I then came to think , well why , Why change ones name at all , its confusing , your school friends are all remembered by a given name not one they change to just because they marry a man .     or woman these days .

Do you think we should adopt the Spanish system where everyone has two surnames, one from their father which he inherited from his father and one their mother which she inherited from her father?

In Greece and some Slavic countries males and females are given different variations of the family name, perhaps we should give that a go?

2 hours ago, m williamson said:

Do you think we should adopt the Spanish system where everyone has two surnames, one from their father which he inherited from his father and one their mother which she inherited from her father?

In Greece and some Slavic countries males and females are given different variations of the family name, perhaps we should give that a go?

I have noticed an increase in that custom lately and I don't see any objections at all except from those with arthritis who are writing by hand.

I used to have an address with a long street name and it was a pain but I have a reasonable one now. 

3 hours ago, m williamson said:

I have three surnames , it is very handy some times , "Whats your name sir """ and so on .

3 hours ago, horribleblob said:

A friend of mine who divorced her husband because of domestic violence, waited until all her four children had left school before reverting back to her own family name. At the same time, two of the children decided also to change their names and two retained their father's family name.

My own child bears the maternal family name. There have been no complications with that.

The family history tree tracers have got used to ladies changing their names when they become a legal couple. Having two surnames would make it easier, but perhaps a second middle would make signing their name easier and quicker