Names .

Years ago my middle son was going out with a girl whose original surname was coincidentally the same as ours but after an abusive marriage her mother divorced, remarried and took her new husband’s name as did her daughter.

With that background his girlfriend, not unnaturally, didn’t want to have my son’s surname if they eventually married and so he changed his by deed poll to hers, which to be fair was upsetting for us.

Anyhow, eventually they went their separate ways and he changed his surname back to ours.

He’s a teacher and the change of names initially caused some difficulties when applying for various posts early in his career.

He’s now married with a daughter. He’s kept his original name, his wife kept her maiden name for business reasons but has the double barrelled version for everything else as does our granddaughter.

What a complicated world this has become!

echo.

Edited by echo beach

My mother asked me what I thought of my sister wanting to having a double-barrelled name after her marriage,  her husband's name was only four letters and her maiden name had eight letters,  I had to be honest and say it was too much of a mouthful - and a bit 'grandiose'  (didn't say that though.) it just didn't flow.

On 02/11/2023 at 11:55, cuttsie said:

Why do women change their name on marriage ??????.

This morning I have been looking at the births , marriages and death column in our so called Sheffield newspaper .

I suddenly realised I know or knew one lass who has just passed away . I only realised this by other info given in the notice .

I then came to think , well why , Why change ones name at all , its confusing , your school friends are all remembered by a given name not one they change to just because they marry a man .     or woman these days .

It originates from the Middle Ages and the concept of ‘coverture’ which meant  a married woman’s was under her husband’s protection and authority. No female had a legal identity.

On marriage a husband and wife became one. Married women could not make contracts.

They owned nothing, not even the clothes on their backs. No rights to their children or even their bodies.

Thank goodness nowadays we’ve become a little more enlightened unlike some countries I can think of.

echo.

Edited by echo beach

I quite like the method of adopting both surnames linked with a hyphen

eg  'Robinson-Brown.'

Doesn't always work of course, and I wonder what the next generation will do with possibly 4 surnames to combine... 

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I quite like the method of adopting both surnames linked with a hyphen

eg  'Robinson-Brown.'

Doesn't always work of course, and I wonder what the next generation will do with possibly 4 surnames to combine... 

They’ll all have to qualify as solicitors!😀

echo.

• Haha 1

On 04/11/2023 at 12:39, echo beach said:

It originates from the Middle Ages and the concept of ‘coverture’ which meant  a married woman’s was under her husband’s protection and authority. No female had a legal identity.

On marriage a husband and wife became one. Married women could not make contracts.

They owned nothing, not even the clothes on their backs. No rights to their children or even their bodies.

In UK law, there's no rule that a married woman must change her surname.

A marriage certificate does not change it; and nor does even a Deed Poll (Statutory Declaration).

All that these items do is to evidence by what name she intends to be known thereafter.

What counts is consistent usage- the items are intended to prove this but nothing else, so far as concerns her surname.