Working 70 Hours?

17 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

You are quite right with that.  I don't remember when the 40 hour week was introduced but when I started work,  the working week was 48 hours unless I'm mistaken

4 hours of that was Saturday morning work which in those days was compulsory for most workers. We also didn't get many holidays too and everyone worked on New Years day, hangover or not.

I remember 44 hour working and then,  when the 40 hour week was introduced,  we thought we had a lot of leisure although a lot off workers worked overtime in the week.

Working on Saturday then brought time and a half money and Sundays was double time.   I personally, was quite content with our work improvements in those days,  but they seem to have gone backwards again since.

Yes, and you are correct about it going backwards now.

16 hours ago, El Cid said:

But since COVID there has been a shortage of workers, so they have the upper hand.

Most could give up their regular job and find work 

Most available jobs are more of the same. Quality jobs are very few and far between. 

Tradesmen (plumbers, electricians etc) are in short supply, but it costs money to train, (Apprenticeships are mainly for the young and come with strict criteria,) and many people who could do it simply can't afford it. 

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Most available jobs are more of the same. Quality jobs are very few and far between. 

Tradesmen (plumbers, electricians etc) are in short supply, but it costs money to train, (Apprenticeships are mainly for the young and come with strict criteria,) and many people who could do it simply can't afford it. 

I will work until it's not longer possible 

I love it

It's something that is deep within my bones

It's what keeps me alive ....it drives me forward

I want bigger and better things

There are some on this forum who believes they are owed a living 

That they worked for a few years and so we have to support them for 40 years with free everything

I work to avoid government handouts 

Not rely on them 

Edited by Jack Grey
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Anna B said:

No they aren't. Loads of jobs going in professional engineering, in finance, in IT.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

No they aren't. Loads of jobs going in professional engineering, in finance, in IT.

Really?

In Sheffield?

In the North? 

I see quite a lot of men working on the tills in supermarkets these days. 

Nothing wrong with that, But I'm sure if they'd been qualified for the above jobs, they would have gone for them. Anyone over the age of 50 at a disadvantage.

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

I will work until it's not longer possible 

I love it

It's something that is deep within my bones

It's what keeps me alive ....it drives me forward

I want bigger and better things

There are some on this forum who believes they are owed a living 

That they worked for a few years and so we have to find them for 40. years with free everything

I work to avoid government handouts 

Not rely on them 

Instead of making statements tat you've made up in your head,  would you like to tell us who you're referring to.

Jack Grey thinks he's the only bloke who's ever had a job but no one knows when he works because he's on here all the time.

Writing on the forum is NOT working.

Edited by Organgrinder

46 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Really?

In Sheffield?

In the North? 

I see quite a lot of men working on the tills in supermarkets these days. 

Nothing wrong with that, But I'm sure if they'd been qualified for the above jobs, they would have gone for them. Anyone over the age of 50 at a disadvantage.

Yes, really. In Sheffield, and all across the North.

Jobs which require qualifications and/or relevant experience.

I'm over the age of 50, I get multiple emails each day from recruiters with open roles in engineering.

I would suggest that many of those working on tills have been in unskilled labour for a long time, and a lot of them chose that route, or it was the only route open to them either through ability or application.

Edited by Bargepole23

8 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Yes, really. In Sheffield, and all across the North.

Jobs which require qualifications and/or relevant experience.

I'm over the age of 50, I get multiple emails each day from recruiters with open roles in engineering.

I would suggest that many of those working on tills have been in unskilled labour for a long time, and a lot of them chose that route, or it was the only route open to them either through ability or application.

Or, like me, who decided that after working in a high-pressure environment that a move to a position that meant you weren't thinking about it, even when you were supposed to be relaxing.

That's what I did after being made redundant. My redundancy package, lifestyle and plans allowed for that - others may be different.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Or, like me, who decided that after working in a high-pressure environment that a move to a position that meant you weren't thinking about it, even when you were supposed to be relaxing.

That's what I did after being made redundant. My redundancy package, lifestyle and plans allowed for that - others may be different.

Good point RJ, mirrors my own plans.

• Like 1