Working 70 Hours?

27 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Or, like me, who decided that after working in a high-pressure environment that a move to a position that meant you weren't thinking about it, even when you were supposed to be relaxing.

That's what I did after being made redundant. My redundancy package, lifestyle and plans allowed for that - others may be different.

One of my best pals had a high end job in engineering and last year he gave it up  ( early retirement)and now works part time on the tills in a supermarket.

He says his stress levels have gone and he wishes he had done it years ago.

7 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

One of my best pals had a high end job in engineering and last year he gave it up  ( early retirement)and now works part time on the tills in a supermarket.

He says his stress levels have gone and he wishes he had done it years ago.

Strangely enough, I used to enjoy the job(s) I was doing, but after our operation was taken over by an American firm and they introduced their way of working, without any consultation, I was considering a move even before they said 'goodbye' , but wasn't really in a position to take lower pay.

When they decided they didn't need me any more AND offered a great goodbye package, I took it. I could have fought (and had been advised that I would probably have won), but the enjoyment had gone, so I decided the added stress wasn't worth it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Yes, really. In Sheffield, and all across the North.

Jobs which require qualifications and/or relevant experience.

I'm over the age of 50, I get multiple emails each day from recruiters with open roles in engineering.

I would suggest that many of those working on tills have been in unskilled labour for a long time, and a lot of them chose that route, or it was the only route open to them either through ability or application.

Ahh, I think we are talking about an advertising gimick  here.

I take it you've never actually applied for any of these jobs, much less got one.

They are just touting for business.

Of course they advertise a great, professional, well paid job, but when you try to apply for it, it's always  'Just gone, But we have another one here, working in a factory....'

It's a well known ploy to get you through their door....

On 06/11/2023 at 20:14, Anna B said:

Whatever happened to Life /work balance?

Yes Anna when I was young we were told that automation would result in everyone having much more leisure time. You’d be paid the same salary and just work 3 or 4 days  week!

Well it’s not come to that yet, has it

I stayed on working until I was 66 to help my employer but I could have retired earlier although I did enjoy my career in teaching.
9am to 3.30pm, 30 hours per week and 13 weeks holiday per year NOT. That’s what the general public think.

I’ve always been involved in the community where I live and so have never ‘put my feet up’ so to speak. It’s just a different sort of work but unpaid. I think keeping involved and active is the key to a happy retirement.

echo.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Ahh, I think we are talking about an advertising gimick  here.

I take it you've never actually applied for any of these jobs, much less got one.

They are just touting for business.

Of course they advertise a great, professional, well paid job, but when you try to apply for it, it's always  'Just gone, But we have another one here, working in a factory....'

It's a well known ploy to get you through their door....

Utter rubbish.

I've had plenty of contracts exactly via this route, Many friends have had many permanent roles through exactly this route.

These are professional recruiters, do think they want to waste their time trying to trick well paid professionals into applying for less skilled, lower paid roles? They would get the phone put down on them in very short order.

• Like 1

I used to run a 26 person department/warehouse 42hrs aweek with 120hrs overtime a month, I walked in one day and was told over the phone, I was being put on Garden Leave.

I spent 2 and a half years on full pay, collected all bonuses and expected overtime plus a monthly £250 worth of  high street vouchers, before leaving with a healthy 15 page comprise agreement 🤝 

I'd never work for anyone again, I'm happy being my own boss, or at least happy doing what my Mrs wants 😀 as we both work from home.

Respect to those that do 👏