Offensive Bird Names To Be Changed In The Us And Canada

7 minutes ago, Vrsaljko said:

All the problems in the world and they're wasting time on this. What absolute nonsense.

I’m not sure that the people fiddling with birds’ names would be any good at brokering peace in the Middle East.

Leave them to it. At least then,  you know where they are.

23 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I’m not sure that the people fiddling with birds’ names would be any good at brokering peace in the Middle East.

Leave them to it. At least then,  you know where they are.

I wasn't really suggesting that they should broker peace in the middle east. If they feel the need to correct the wrongs of society, then go and volunteer at a homeless shelter or food bank etc.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Dozens of bird species will have their English names changed in an attempt to avoid associations with “historic bias” and exclusionary practices.

The American Ornithological Society (AOS) said the decision was being made “in an effort to address past wrongs and engage far more people in the enjoyment, protection, and study of birds”.

The organisation also plans to change the process by which English names are selected for bird species under its jurisdiction. The effort will begin in 2024 and will focus initially on 70–80 bird species that occur primarily within the US and Canada.

"There is power in a name, and some English bird names have associations with the past that continue to be exclusionary and harmful today,” said AOS president Colleen Handel.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/offensive-bird-names-us-canada-aos-b2440066.html

Your thoughts?

Your thoughts?

• Haha 1