Remembrance Sunday. What Will You Be Doing?

I remember that story about Bernard Jordan, what a guy!

12 hours ago, harvey19 said:

..Yesterday we went to see the film The Great Escaper featuring Michael Caine and Glenda Jackson. It was about a 90 year old veteran who decided to travel to the D Day commemorations  on his own. A very good and moving film.

I'll be quietly remembering all the brave soldiers.  My dad was a young soldier aged 20/21 who fought at Monte Cassino in Italy ( a very bloody battle )

I always watch the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall on the Saturday evening ( usually with a lump in my throat )  On Sunday the laying of poppy wreaths at the Cenotaph followed by the march past by the proud servicemen and women is also a must watch for me.  Respect to them all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, francypants said:

I'll be quietly remembering all the brave soldiers.  My dad was a young soldier aged 20/21 who fought at Monte Cassino in Italy ( a very bloody battle )

I always watch the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall on the Saturday evening ( usually with a lump in my throat )  On Sunday the laying of poppy wreaths at the Cenotaph followed by the march past by the proud servicemen and women is also a must watch for me.  Respect to them all.

I hopefully will be watch the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall, if not I’ll record it. I’ll record the laying of the poppy wreaths at the Cenotaph because I want to go to the Newcastle Remembrance Service. It was nice seeing so many young people at the service the last time I was there.
How can it not bring a tear to your eyes listening  to the service,  whether it’s watching it on TV or at the Cenotaph in Sheffield or Newcastle. 

Lest We Forget

Edited by hauxwell

3 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I hopefully will be watch the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall, if not I’ll record it. I’ll record the laying of the poppy wreaths at the Cenotaph because I want to go to the Newcastle Remembrance Service. It was nice seeing so many young people at the service the last time I was there.
How can it not bring a tear to your eyes listening  to the service,  whether it’s watching it on TV or at the Cenotaph in Sheffield or Newcastle. 

Lest We Forget

A few years ago my eldest grandson ( who was about 11 or 12 at the time ) was picked to represent his school and lay a poppy wreath at a Remembrance Service  .........   I felt so proud.

6 minutes ago, francypants said:

A few years ago my eldest grandson ( who was about 11 or 12 at the time ) was picked to represent his school and lay a poppy wreath at a Remembrance Service  .........   I felt so proud.

And so you should be.  Children need to be involved in the Remembrance Day Service.

3 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I hopefully will be watch the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall, if not I’ll record it. I’ll record the laying of the poppy wreaths at the Cenotaph because I want to go to the Newcastle Remembrance Service.

It was nice seeing so many young people at the service the last time I was there.

Lest We Forget

Not only do we want and NEED,  young people to take part but we need them to fully understand the full horrors of war and it's effects on both combatants and civilians.

I would have thought,  that by now,  we would have reached the  "Never again"   stage but it seems we never will.

On 04/11/2023 at 23:20, The_DADDY said:

My bold

I'm sure the police will be giving out words of advice to anyone causing they deem to be causing a nuisance......

Like in the video..

https://www.facebook.com/reel/709160911099340

Wonder if anyone will receive the sentence,

"

Stoke North MP Jonathan Gullis and Bracknell MP James Sunderland, a former army colonel, put forward the Desecration of War Memorials Bill last year which eventually became law in the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022 (Section 50).

It means there is a legal duty to protect war memorials and that anyone found guilty of desecrating them can be sent to prison for up to 10 years.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1831918/suella-braverman-remembrance-pro-palestinian-hate-mob?fbclid=IwAR2mIxTXsc5xVVPAcR1-rk7G_dIbhIB3gJ97NqWBQcRCGII2yO64UYubzvA

3 minutes ago, retep said:

Wonder if anyone will receive the sentence,

"

Stoke North MP Jonathan Gullis and Bracknell MP James Sunderland, a former army colonel, put forward the Desecration of War Memorials Bill last year which eventually became law in the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Act 2022 (Section 50).

It means there is a legal duty to protect war memorials and that anyone found guilty of desecrating them can be sent to prison for up to 10 years.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1831918/suella-braverman-remembrance-pro-palestinian-hate-mob?fbclid=IwAR2mIxTXsc5xVVPAcR1-rk7G_dIbhIB3gJ97NqWBQcRCGII2yO64UYubzvA

It's great there's some protection for war memorials but it'll be a cold day in hell before anyone gets anything close to 10 years.

Weeks, months maybe but 10 years? 

Not a chance.

It seems Rochdale Cenotaph has fallen victim to pro palestine protesters with free palestine daubed on the monument.
I dont think those responsible have a clue how sacred the monument is to people.

If anyone is convicted of defacing a monument it could seem to some of those inside as bad a sexual crime against a child.

I'm thinking of heading down to London as there seems to be an after party like no other going on, anyone interested?

Edited by Findlay

44 minutes ago, Findlay said:

It seems Rochdale Cenotaph has fallen victim to pro palestine protesters with free palestine daubed on the monument.
I dont think those responsible have a clue how sacred the monument is to people.

If anyone is convicted of defacing a monument it could seem to some of those inside as bad a sexual crime against a child.

I'm thinking of heading down to London as there seems to be an after party like no other going on, anyone interested?

It's not that they don't have a clue.

They are just thugs and vandals who don't give a  sh*t.      

• Like 1