All Jobs Will Be Replaced By Artificial Intelligence

10 minutes ago, altus said:

There was much talk in the late 70s and early 80s of how 'the microchip' would automate jobs, put people out of work and bring about a leisure society. It didn't. Work and people adapted to do different things. I don't think there is anything fundamentally different about the use of AI to automate things.

I agree with that view.  When you come out of a minister's office and look at the real range of jobs which ordinary people do,  90% cannot be done by computers and AI.

Strangely enough most of the jobs at the top,  CAN be done by AI,  but not most of those at the bottom.

Scrubbing toilets and wiping bums will still need some honest toil.

54 minutes ago, altus said:

There was much talk in the late 70s and early 80s of how 'the microchip' would automate jobs, put people out of work and bring about a leisure society. It didn't. Work and people adapted to do different things. I don't think there is anything fundamentally different about the use of AI to automate things.

I remember it well. One of my earliest jobs was putting the bar codes in Library books in the 70s which led the way for an almost fully automated library system in the 90s. ( used to work in a library and much of the backroom work was ended by this.) 

But I think you're wrong to assume that things haven't moved on much since then. We just don't see it in a backwater like Sheffield, but new systems are being tested all over the place. Those that work well and save money (ie workers) will be adopted. Think how much has gone online since the Pandemic. One of Turing's tests was not being able to tell if a robot was  a robot, yet you are probably engaging with AI and speaking to robots every day already although not aware of it. You probably read chatgpt generated letters every day too.

People still think in terms of physical robots which have some way to go, (but I ordered and was served at table by one in a fully automated cafe in Australia.) They are getting there. Japan is way ahead of the rest.

They are just a bit of a gimmick at the moment, but the tip of the iceberg in terms of AI.

Watch BBC 'Click' on iplayer if you want to see which way it's going. Exciting, fascinating and worrying in equal measure...

Edited by Anna B

3 hours ago, Prettytom said:

I think you’ve misunderstood him.

Would it help if I explained what he really meant?

2 hours ago, altus said:

Fixed that for you. You're IT literate enough to know how training chat bots from social media posts works out. ;)

I think you two should do some karaoke:

No doubt a lot of jobs can be done by AI coupled with robotics,

The question is when jobs for humans have been reduced to the minimum where's the money going to come from to pay for the services and products provided by AI?

No jobs, no wages.  Are we heading toward a Star Trek cashless society where no one needs to work and everything is provided for?

Can't see it personally but what do I know.

5 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Thanks I will see if I can find it on iplayer.  He sounds like an awful man. Power has gone to his head.

Just checked.  'The Elon Musk Show' is still available for a year on BBC I player.  3 one hour episodes.  It's basically Musk's life story from his childhood days in S. Africa to him arriving in the US & then starting & building up his business empire with Tesla & his space program & the various financial problems he's faced over the years. 

Also has contributions from his mother, estranged father, wife & current & ex-employees. 

A really intresting watch. 

4 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Just checked.  'The Elon Musk Show' is still available for a year on BBC I player.  3 one hour episodes.  It's basically Musk's life story from his childhood days in S. Africa to him arriving in the US & then starting & building up his business empire with Tesla & his space program & the various financial problems he's faced over the years. 

Also has contributions from his mother, estranged father, wife & current & ex-employees. 

A really intresting watch. 

Thank you Baron it sounds like an interesting watch. It will be interesting to hear what his estranged father has to say and ex employees. 

6 hours ago, m williamson said:

No doubt a lot of jobs can be done by AI coupled with robotics,

The question is when jobs for humans have been reduced to the minimum where's the money going to come from to pay for the services and products provided by AI?

No jobs, no wages.  Are we heading toward a Star Trek cashless society where no one needs to work and everything is provided for?

Can't see it personally but what do I know.

Productivity should go up and goods become cheaper because of AI, but it's far from a done deal. But remember it works both ways. If people have no income, who is going to buy the products the robots produce? Some sort of citizen's income may well be the answer to keep an economy turning. I suspect some people will always choose to work for the fun of it. Bit not all.

However as a 'no work' society has no precedent, obviously there will have to be some radical, outside- the- box thinking. That doesn't mean it won't happen. Every era has faced major new problems that need to be solved. The last one, the industrial revolution, moved 90% of the population from the countryside to the towns in a very short space of time, with not enough housing or infrastructure to cope, But after a very bumpy start, cope they did, and what was needed was put in place. So now we have our big cities with massive populations. Cars were invented before there were the roads to drive on, but they followed soon after.

A huge change will happen, (it's already underway.) But make no mistake, it's going to be a seismic shift, and it will happen quicker than anybody expects  and come with casualties. And of course we will not be ready for it...

Edited by Anna B