Old Courthouse At Bagshawe Arms

katekate

Hi, I’m looking for any information about the court house which was on the Bagshawe Arms site. There was a rumour in the 80’s that there had been hangings on that land but I can’t find any record of these.  Does anyone know any history of the site?

59 minutes ago, katekate said:

Hi, I’m looking for any information about the court house which was on the Bagshawe Arms site. There was a rumour in the 80’s that there had been hangings on that land but I can’t find any record of these.  Does anyone know any history of the site?

The building is still there and can be seen from the pub carpark. It was a petty sessions court so a death sentence wouldn’t be passed there.

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

The building is still there and can be seen from the pub carpark. It was a petty sessions court so a death sentence wouldn’t be passed there.

Thanks for that.   Do you by any chance know what was on the land where the houses are on Orpen Drive?

The reason I’m asking is I lived on Orpen Drive over 40 years ago and the house was ‘haunted’.  I’ve been curious ever since about what was on the site before they built houses.  I know some people are  going to reply by saying there’s no such thing as ghosts but I witnessed some very strange happenings there. 

1 hour ago, katekate said:

Thanks for that.   Do you by any chance know what was on the land where the houses are on Orpen Drive?

The reason I’m asking is I lived on Orpen Drive over 40 years ago and the house was ‘haunted’.  I’ve been curious ever since about what was on the site before they built houses.  I know some people are  going to reply by saying there’s no such thing as ghosts but I witnessed some very strange happenings there. 

It was fields. The Bagshawe pub was originally a farmhouse.

YES! Jim's right!   Searching as far back as the 1700s, there were no buildings at all on the land where that house is.

On the subject of the 'ghost' goings on, it may not be from an ancient time.

It could have been a previous occupant of the house, or, it could have been a relative of your family.

In the 1820s members of the Bagshawe family (e.g. Sir William Bagshawe and William John Bagshawe of the Oakes) were hearing cases at the Hemsworth court, and they also sat at Sheffield. Typical cases were unruly Irish navvies at the Bradway tunnel, poaching, non-payment of poor rates, theft etc.  In 1842 two wood thieves were held at the Bagshawe Arms overnight, prior to appearing at Beauchief Abbey before magistrate Burnell.

In 1859 a new building was put up at the rear of the pub, primarily for the use of local clubs, such as the Norton Farmers Club, established 1843, whose base was the Bagshawe Arms.  By the 1880s Hemsworth Petty Sessions, were  “held usually in the club room over the stables, occasionally in the coffee-room”.  Buildings could not be reserved for a single once a week purpose, the Sessions at Hemsworth varied between fortnightly and weekly.

8 hours ago, TedW said:

In the 1820s members of the Bagshawe family (e.g. Sir William Bagshawe and William John Bagshawe of the Oakes) were hearing cases at the Hemsworth court, and they also sat at Sheffield. Typical cases were unruly Irish navvies at the Bradway tunnel, poaching, non-payment of poor rates, theft etc.  In 1842 two wood thieves were held at the Bagshawe Arms overnight, prior to appearing at Beauchief Abbey before magistrate Burnell.

In 1859 a new building was put up at the rear of the pub, primarily for the use of local clubs, such as the Norton Farmers Club, established 1843, whose base was the Bagshawe Arms.  By the 1880s Hemsworth Petty Sessions, were  “held usually in the club room over the stables, occasionally in the coffee-room”.  Buildings could not be reserved for a single once a week purpose, the Sessions at Hemsworth varied between fortnightly and weekly.

Am sure they called it Yates wine Lodge when I lived on constable place? 

I also think I remember it being called that.  Thanks for all the information regarding the land that the houses were built on. I just wish I could find out more about the house where I used to live but I’ve no idea where to start.

5 minutes ago, katekate said:

I also think I remember it being called that.  Thanks for all the information regarding the land that the houses were built on. I just wish I could find out more about the house where I used to live but I’ve no idea where to start.

😱😱😱😱

On 09/11/2023 at 20:17, katekate said:

According to housing info, houses on Orpen Drive may possibly have been constructed between 1950 & 1966 - 1967 & 1975

So there could have been quite a few previous residents in your house. Are you by any chance still in touch with old neighbours ?

It's possible they may remember something.