The Golden Generation, It's Coming To An End Now, Big Time.

1 hour ago, geared said:

a global pandemic

Bearing in mind they, for the first time in history, suppressed the whole of society (which disproportionally affected the young, particularly children) to mainly to try and protect that same Golden Generation, they are, it would seem, even luckier

Edited by Chekhov

9 hours ago, El Cid said:

Surely the home owner parents pass on their wealth to the next generation?

doesn't really work like that.

the kids who are looking to buy houses are around 30.

Their parents are around 60.

it's the grandparents 'wealth' that might be passed on to the current generation, but lots of that money is being hoovered up by care home costs.

17 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Nobody said it was all easy, because life is not easy, and part of the problem with society these days is that it is trying, certainly by implication, to make life easy. Or more accurately : "life without upset" (which does not exist) BY ORDER.

I lived through the 70s, that era had its problems, but I liked them much more than this modern world of ours. And most people old enough to remember them think the same

>Everyone else is welcome to think differently from me<

>>and I can be as gleeful as I want,  which I will do anyway<<

Not even sure about that any more, what with massive care home bills !

Me too, as a child, and it was great, but how is that comparable with life as a teenager/carefree 20 something in the 80's/early 90's, and even more so as a homeowner/parent/worker from then on? Just different phases of life.

I've enjoyed it all, and continue to enjoy life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Not even sure about that any more, what with massive care home bills !

But only around 5% need to go into a car home? My mother spent a few years in a car home, father did not, females live longer and are morley likely to need care.

I had eight aunts/uncles, two needed care, one of those had no children.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

But only around 5% need to go into a car home? My mother spent a few years in a car home, father did not, females live longer and are morley likely to need care.

I had eight aunts/uncles, two needed care, one of those had no children.

Really, that's good news, I am desperate not to end up in a care home. No disrespect to care homes but it just would not suit my personality, I need control of my own life.

How many need extensive home helps and stuff ? Though I accept that is no where near as expensive as a care home.

"OMG ! Pensions ! Many, particularly in the public sector has index linked, or, even better, final salary pension schemes. It's almost unbelievable isn't it !"

Just to clarify many of these final salary pension schemes have been closed in the public sector. Mine was closed back in 2005. 

54 minutes ago, Mister M said:

"OMG ! Pensions ! Many, particularly in the public sector has index linked, or, even better, final salary pension schemes. It's almost unbelievable isn't it !"

Just to clarify many of these final salary pension schemes have been closed in the public sector. Mine was closed back in 2005. 

Exactly, and that's just one the reasons why the present retired generation is the most fortunate ever.

8 hours ago, geared said:

and yet you've dealt with the global economy crashing twice, a huge cost of living crisis, a global pandemic, multiple wars, and the country tearing itself away from it's largest trading partner.

and you're not even 40 yet.

Yet I've never been out of work since I was 16 until a few months ago when I resigned, bought my own house at 25 and would say I'm doing alright generally. Obviously some people have it worse depending on where they live etc, but you were directly addressing my own personal circumstances. I don't choose to see myself as a victim really.

I think a lot of people need to be more sensible with the decisions they make instead of just blaming the world. Especially people who go and do a nonsense degree, end up with a load of student debt and then do a menial job which didn't require a degree, all while burning money on rent and wondering why they can't get anywhere.

• Like 1