The Golden Generation, It's Coming To An End Now, Big Time.

Excellent post cuttsie and a good summary of the world into which I was born and lived not a million miles away from you.

Conceived in the back of a Rover? Boy your family were posh!😀

echo.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

>>Chekhov said 

WWII UK deaths (incl civilians) = approx 450,000 (a huge number, but proportionally much less than Germany, or Russia, or even France)

Malayan Emergency UK deaths (almost all military) = approx 2,500

Korean war UK deaths (almost all military) = approx 1,100

Northern Ireland "Troubles" UK deaths (incl civilians) = approx 3,500

Falklands UK deaths (almost all military) = approx 250

Iraq and Afghanistan deaths (almost all military) = approx 600<<

No moving the goalposts  -  a common theme with Chekhov's posts.

No one was referring to the amount of deaths caused and no one was definitely referring to British road deaths.

Britain has been almost constantly at war since 1945 and serving military personell   "had to"  go to war when told.

https://www.historyguy.com/british_wars_1945present.htm

A hell of a lot of British men have been to war since 1945 and that is a fact.

I was not "moving any goalposts", I was simply pointing out that, relative to WWII, the wars Britain have fought since have been mere skirmishes in terms of the numbers of British killed.

17 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Saw them being sent to different parts of the Empire to fight people who meant us no harm , 

Which war in particular are you referring to here ?

Edited by Chekhov

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Any way some say it was good old days , Well  I  will tell you now it wern"t , Our lot were skint ,  

Miners were suffering from lung disease , They had to go in front of panels to claim panel money , same for building workers and steel workers .

So we left school on a Friday at 15 years old . The following Monday some of us were down Treeton or  Orgreave pit .

No me though I was on a building site working with a horse . good old days my arse.

Who on here has said the 40s, or even the 50s for many, were "the good old days".

What we are saying is that people who were born at that time are the golden generation because of what happened later in their lives (for the reasons given in the opener). Not all of them, but the great majority.

Having said that, the rationing of food in the war (and also immediately afterwards) must have been rather unpleasant at the time, but it actually meant that generation were healthier than the one which came after it !

Edited by Chekhov

3 hours ago, echo beach said:

Excellent post cuttsie and a good summary of the world into which I was born and lived not a million miles away from you.

Conceived in the back of a Rover? Boy your family were posh!😀

echo.

Well the shagging pair had a few bob no doubt about it They soon traded me in though , passed me on to my real family .

As to cars , Its strange as i  have always felt at home in a big car with a bench seat .

54 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I was not "moving any goalposts", I was simply pointing out that, relative to WWII, the wars Britain have fought since have been mere skirmishes in terms of the numbers of British killed.

Which war in particular are you referring to here ?

In my family . Korea , Palestine , Aden . One Cuttsie  (Bert) Was rescued from the beech at Normandy by the Yanks Another was  stationed in Germany looked after senior Nazi  officers while they awaited trial  for war crimes .

Another Tom Hegarty my brother in law was stationed on a small Island near Burma .   It was years after the others when he came home .

Remember I was 20 years younger than all these adopted brothers and sisters so they were all fully involved in the war .

The Karky blankets kept piling up on the beds .

16 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

>>cuttsie said : Saw them being sent to different parts of the Empire to fight people who meant us no harm <<

>Chekhov said Which war in particular are you referring to here ?<

In my family . Korea , Palestine , Aden .

We were actually trying to get out of PaIestine and arguably we went too quickly, look what's happening there right now......

I think we did the right thing going into Korea, look at South Korea now, a rich free democracy (insofar as any country is free these days....) compared to North Korea, a poor authoritarian dictatorship.

5 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Well the shagging pair had a few bob no doubt about it They soon traded me in though , passed me on to my real family .

As to cars , Its strange as i  have always felt at home in a big car with a bench seat .

………and a steering column gear stick, a choke button and an umbrella handle handbrake sticking out of the dashboard like the old Wolseley 15/50 police cars.

In the ‘60s I was sat in the front centre of a bench seat in my mate’s Wolseley travelling down from Owler Bar towards Totley when we left the road on a bend and went straight through a hedge ending up in a field. Luckily there wasn’t a stone wall behind the hedge and I’m still here to tell the tale. We drove out through a 5 bar gate; after we’d opened it, may I add!

Ah, the memories!

echo.

• Haha 1