Hallamshire Hospital Changes

21 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Then Ambulances or Taxis are the way to go.

If you don’t qualify for an ambulance, you need to think laterally.

There’s plenty of parking in Broomhill, and you could easily drive there and taxi the last mile at minimal cost.

Can't think why they didn't extend the tram up from Glossop Road to the Hallamshire hospital. Would have been very useful.

• Like 1

Just now, Anna B said:

Can't think why they didn't extend the tram up from Glossop Road to the Hallamshire hospital. Would have been very useful.

There was a very active local residents group in the area who actively opposed the tram running up Glossop Road. I know, because I lived next door to one of the organisers.

The council couldn’t, or wouldn’t stand up to them. So the tram doesn’t go to the hospital.

It would be a good idea to add the spur in now. And also to look at a way of moving via public transport, from the Hallamshire to the Northern General.

Other cities have good public transport links between hospitals. We should too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

There was a very active local residents group in the area who actively opposed the tram running up Glossop Road. I know, because I lived next door to one of the organisers.

The council couldn’t, or wouldn’t stand up to them. So the tram doesn’t go to the hospital.

It would be a good idea to add the spur in now. And also to look at a way of moving via public transport, from the Hallamshire to the Northern General.

Should've  leathered him .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Firstly the responsibility for the tram and any extensions lies with the Mayoral Combined Authority (MCA) which was the Passenger Transport Executive (PTE), not the council.

Of course the council work with them on any proposals, but the MCA / PTE would be the scheme promoter and would own the infrastructure.

When I was at the council, I worked with the PTE on the consultation around the proposed tram extensions to Broomhill and Ranmoor.

Yes there were vociferous locals who objected to the extension, but despite that, the PTE did put in a bid to the government to fund the spur to Broomhill. The government refused and told them it didn’t offer good value for money, so they should look to buses for future mass transit needs, as they were better value, which is why the next scheme that came up was the bus rapid transit near Meadowhall. 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2023 at 23:19, Prettytom said:

Then Ambulances or Taxis are the way to go.

If you don’t qualify for an ambulance, you need to think laterally.

There’s plenty of parking in Broomhill, and you could easily drive there and taxi the last mile at minimal cost.

Though at many times of the day your chances of getting a taxi to turn up is far from adequate.

• Like 2