Wales Bar 1909

snash1

I am researching my family history and on one branch of my tree I have a family named Pearson.  My G/Grandfather Thomas Pearson and his wife Minnie Salter came from Stourbridge to live in Wales Bar around 1909.  Thomas Pearson's sister Jane Pearson had married James Gollick from Kiveton Park in 1906.  I think James was her first cousin and his side of the family had moved there from Stourbridge too.  The family lived in Ashley's Yard, does anyone have any idea where Ashley's Yard was ?  Thomas was a coal miner so it could have been close to the colliery ?  

On 10/11/2023 at 13:53, snash1 said:

I am researching my family history and on one branch of my tree I have a family named Pearson.  My G/Grandfather Thomas Pearson and his wife Minnie Salter came from Stourbridge to live in Wales Bar around 1909.  Thomas Pearson's sister Jane Pearson had married James Gollick from Kiveton Park in 1906.  I think James was her first cousin and his side of the family had moved there from Stourbridge too.  The family lived in Ashley's Yard, does anyone have any idea where Ashley's Yard was ?  Thomas was a coal miner so it could have been close to the colliery ?  

Try the Kiveton Park & Wales Memories group on Facebook.

Or the Kiveton & Wales History:  https://www.kivetonwaleshistory.co.uk/home (they also have a facebook group)

The 1911 census enumerator walked as follows:

Old Vicarage, Wales

Church  St, Wales

Old Hall, Wales - 2 occupants Mr Ashley in the grocer's shop and Mr Clarkson in the butchers

Wales Hall (farmhouse)

St John's Church

Church Street, Wales ( 15 households)

Ashley's Yard, Wales ( 4 households - Wilson, Wilks, Pearson, Burgin)

Pit Houses, Wales ( 1 farmhouse, 1 private house)

Waleswood, Wales (2 households)

- End of Ecclesiastical Parish of All Hallowes, Harthill.

Map of the area as in 1916 here:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/125651833