Arthritis In Old Age?

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

You're so right on that one. Making people wait, some of them in agony, simply isn't fair. I can tolerate most things, but constant pain with no end in sight is just not acceptable. It actually made me realise Euthanasia is not such a bad idea after all, and mine only went on for a couple of weeks (gall bladder)

which was bad enough. How they expect people to live with it for months on end is cruel in the extreme. But people don't realise till they experience it.

And to make matters worse there are proposals to stop benefits for people in severe pain waiting for an operation https://uk.news.yahoo.com/benefit-cuts-affecting-hundreds-thousands-070500542.html

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

Crikey, that's young. Was it Rheumatoid Arthritis (which can affect children,) or some sort of Osteo? 

Either way, poor you. I don't know much about Rheumatoid Arthritis, but I know it's no joke being in pain, especially for a young child. It must have been miserable for you. I hope you're better now, or do you still suffer from attacks?

I don't know which it was I still suffer now, but 1 orthopaedic consult told me to shut up & put up woman!! Needless to say I never saw him again.

7 hours ago, pfifes said:

And to make matters worse there are proposals to stop benefits for people in severe pain waiting for an operation https://uk.news.yahoo.com/benefit-cuts-affecting-hundreds-thousands-070500542.html

That's disgusting.

But nothing surprises me with this government.

They should be held to account for what they've done to disabled people.

People have no idea...

• Like 1

I’ve suffered from Rheumatoid Arthritis for some years, however I recently fractured my shoulder and don’t recommend the combination. I still manage a good Peak Park dog walk every morning and swear that it helps to keep me in my fight against RA. I’m on a weekly injection and daily oral medication and at age 76 reckon that I’m doing well.

Edited by crookesey

On 19/11/2023 at 15:40, crookesey said:

I’ve suffered from Rheumatoid Arthritis for some years, however I recently fractured my shoulder and don’t recommend the combination. I still manage a good Peak Park dog walk every morning and swear that it helps to keep me in my fight against RA. I’m on a weekly injection and daily oral medication and at age 76 reckon that I’m doing well.

Is your arthritis bad enough for you to be claiming, some dont.

https://www.arthritisaction.org.uk/arthritis-and-disability-benefits/

10 hours ago, El Cid said:

Is your arthritis bad enough for you to be claiming, some dont.

https://www.arthritisaction.org.uk/arthritis-and-disability-benefits/

My wife and I have circa £30k p/a pensions plus savings/income, I never imagined that I might qualify for benefits, I’m inconvenienced as against incapacitated.

4 hours ago, crookesey said:

My wife and I have circa £30k p/a pensions plus savings/income, I never imagined that I might qualify for benefits, I’m inconvenienced as against incapacitated.

My ex-wife got extra for a bad back, I was shocked, as I know she helps her 94 year old father - cleaning etc. So she is not disabled in any way.

If my arthritis gets worse in a few years, I will be applying for PIP. Once you reach state pension age, getting PIP is harder, I believe.

39 minutes ago, El Cid said:

My ex-wife got extra for a bad back, I was shocked, as I know she helps her 94 year old father - cleaning etc. So she is not disabled in any way.

If my arthritis gets worse in a few years, I will be applying for PIP. Once you reach state pension age, getting PIP is harder, I believe.

Sorry, but you don't know that for certain.

She may have good days and bad, or be different at different times of day, or have to make a huge effort to visit her father which she pays for later. 

All the above also apply to me, yet I still make the effort to visit my 97+ year old father.

Some people's diabilities are hidden, and some people prefer to keep it that way and put on a brave front.

Edited by Anna B